Is it considered appropriate

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by twigg, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    to be overtly Political on this site?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Seems like those threads usually get shut down in not too long.

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It's not a thread Katy [​IMG]

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well I dont think its a great idea, folks tend to get awful wound up over that stuff. [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well whatever you call it....I call it a thread where people post responses. Whatever you call it they usually don't last long.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Well if a Mod. drops in I will PM the concern.

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Thank you for asking. It's a huge turn-off for me to see political/religious rants on this site. I'm here for the chickens.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Good idea to PM a mod if you see anything that is bothering you...

As far as terminology... [​IMG]

"Message Board" is the terminology for what this particular part of BYC is called. Some people also use the word "forum."

A "forum" can also mean the individual areas (or rooms) for discussion types. "Me, My Chickens, My Family" would be an example of this.

A "thread" is a particular conversation within one of the individual areas.

"Threads" are made up of "posts."

Unfortunately, people get these terms mixed up all the time because they're new to the words, so it can be hard to tell which to use for what. [​IMG]

9. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Katy is correct, political threads usually get closed within a matter of days. While I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss politics, most people are here for the chicken talk. Discussing politics seems to bring out the worst in some people.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Threads and posts with a political slant are watched very closely and action is taken as needed.

The best way to alert us of a possible problem is to use the report button at the lower right of the post you are concerned with.

There are lots of forums (message boards) out there geared toward plitics and other controversial topics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by