Is it even cocci?? Cocci oh my! Why cant I seem to get rid of it?!

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
Iam really irritated at the moment with this outbreak of coccidiosis, Iam currently using sulfadmethoxine soluable powder right now, have been for 6 days now I think? 4 or 6 days... and it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

It says FOR the treatment of coccidiosis in chickens. But the brown holy stinky runs havent cleared up yet.

I have a dozen 9 week old birds, and 18 five week old birds, separated, but they are all infested at the moment. its not every bird, and its not every poo from every bird. but its enough to stink up the coop.

What the heck? How do i treat them for real?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know..i think it stays in the soil. but i'm not sure..heres a bump..good luck!

try some powdered milk in their feed or powdered goats milk and some de in their food. are you sure you have the right dosage of the meds?

Now iam starting to wonder if its really cocci in the first place.

What causes runny brown super fowl smelling poop? I thought that WAS the cocci infestation but now iam reading how the have blood in their stool by the 3rd or 4th day... a week went by with this stuff and it never changes its just that way all the time... and still is on the antibiotics.

Someone has to know something

I'm no expert, but you sound desperate, so i'll give you my thoughts.

First, here's a link to a chicken poop chart. Does it look like any of these? That might help you.http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Also, i read that stinky poop might indicate worms. Maybe you're just treating for the wrong thing.

Last, what other symptoms do they have? Are they acting sick other than the poop?

Hope this helps.

Beth

Coccidiosis is in every ones soil
there are 9 kinds of coccidiosis
YOU can carry it from one infected group to the other when you feed and water for them
so it is common to not wear same shoes to both groups of chicks

I would say this
AMPROYLIUM is the best way to rid your birds of coccidiosis
I have recomended very much sending by phone an order for
AMPROYLIUM powder or liquid
I recommend
Smiths Poultry Supplies as they ar on top of the latest medications for the price.
They are very accomidating and will certainly help you
They ship all over and ship daily

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply Home A family-owned business that offers poultry and game bird books, supplies, vitamins and medication. Located in Kansas, US.
www.poultrysupplies.com/ - 164k - Cached - Similar pages
Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 Fax. 913-533-24

It will take 5-7 days of feeding the medication in the water and I also advise to use the

wet mash for coccidiosis
1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of wat
in the water before putting into the crumbles
add 1tsp of the amproylium powder or liguid
now ix it into the dry crumbles
making a wet mash
watch after puttng in feeders that all the sick one get up to eat

this will only take 20-30 minutes for them to eat 2-3 tsp of the wet mash
do not mix too much but try and see what amt is needed for the number of birds your feeding it to.

now in the waterer you will put the amproylium also feed wet mash for three mornings
after they eat it clean out the wet feeders and restoc the dry crumbles Glenda L Heywood

My friend Nathalie Ross sent me this note:
I wouldn't worry too much about loose droppings as long as the birds
are doing ok and they're not terribly loose.
What lots of people forget is that dropping consistency changes with however much water intake the bird has.

If they're hot, they'll drink more water and have wet droppings. If they're cold, they can get stressed out and have wet droppings
usually accompanied by pasty vents.

If they're just getting used to new environments, new birds, have been moved, etc, they'll have loose droppings.

If that's not enough, then about every tenth dropping they'll have a pasty consistency dropping, more like nasty chocolate pudding,
which is when their cecum empties.

So, what I'd do if I were you is use a good probiotic once a week til they're 8 months old. I'd use it in food, not in the water, and keep their water absolutely clean. Keep their bedding nice and dry, not necessarily always perfectly clean, but good and dry.

The test is that if you can grab it and it clumps it's too wet. If it almost sticks together but falls apart if you even move in the least, it's ok.
That gives them the chance to get used to coccidia in their environment, which they
must do if they're going to develope any tolerance for it. And they absolutely must develope that tolerance. Nathalie Ross

Glenda adds
now the
natural probiotic recipe is is:
1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1/4 cup of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good and feed
chicks 2 tsp full and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles

do this once a day for a week
then once a week for life

All the while after mdicating the birds use
2 tbsp per gallon of the chicken water so their gut flora wil be regulated
they should have this at least 3-5 days a week
then three days aweek after they are over coccidiosis

First, antibiotics will give them diarrhea. After a course of them, you need to add some probiotics to help their gut heal from the damage the meds do, like plain active culture yogurt daily for a while. Second, if you can, skip the Sulmet, which makes the bleeding continue longer, and use Corid (concentrated Amprolium) Mine comes in a 16 oz bottle of 9.6% solution. You use 9-10 cc to a gallon waterer (some say for chicks, use half that, but I used the full amt and it worked great). Do that for 5-7 days, making up new solution daily.
I do not know if they have cocci, but Corid will not hurt them since it is not an antibiotic, if you really believe that cocci is the issue. It is the most common intestinal issue they have at young ages.

I don't use any of the powder stuff--never works. I use liquid Sulmet. Call your local feed stores--it costs about $10 and is well worth it. You mix with water according to the back of the bottle and cocci subsides almost immediately. I treat for about 5 days and we're god to go! Good luck!

One reason I say to use Corid is that I have dosed mine with Sulmet and then had to do it again and then later, again. It is too hard on their gut to keep doing that. However, I use liquid Sulmet for cocci, if I need to, rather than powdered.

Back
Top Bottom