Is it fairly common for more than 1 pair to feed same squabs ?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by chickenzoo, Aug 11, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My pigeons with the 4 squabs are down to 3. One disappeared into nowhere... just gone. Anyhow the 3 are growing good, always have full crops and then I noticed another pigeon who was not sitting on the nest, start feeding the babies... the 2 I thought were parents were just sitting to the side... watching? I've seen the one feeding the babys and sitting over them, the male I have not seen feed yet, but the other i haven't seen at all until today. Perhaps it is a female with 2 males trying for her attention ..... odd.

2. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have a pair that let the baby pigeons cousin feed their daughter. What breed is it I,ve heard rollers don't care that much about feeding baby pigeons. Weird my baby pigeons disappear in minutes.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I have an old norwich cropper that feeds any chicks you put on the floor...

4. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

we have a homer cock that will feed any young one on the floor that's begging.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yes. When multiple pairs are breeding they will feed whatever hassels them enough.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most of my roller cocks will feed any squabs that are on the floor. They will not go into another pairs' nest area, but will pump the young when they go to the floor.

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My flock always "communally" cared for the chicks. At one point there would be 5 chicks... 3 or 4 parents switching once in a while to care and feed for the chicks... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by