Is it just me? Is this the end of the forum I used to enjoy so much?

Ellie_NY_chick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
You know, I have been wanting to say this for the last several months, and I've held off, but I really can't anymore.

I realize we have a section on this board called "Random Ramblings". I realize that no one is forced to click on and read any post, or to continue reading anything they don't agree with, or to post their thoughts freely as long as we maintain some semblence of respect for others. I realize we all come from different backgrounds and cultures and experiences and that these things affect our outlook on life and the world.

There. Got all that out of the way, in case anyone thinks I don't already know this.

But I joined this site because I thought it was a forum to discuss the care and raising of CHICKENS. I hate how this has somehow turned into a political forum, and a place to post any crazy extremist theory that happens to come along on the internet. It's happening more and more, and I'm calling on the moderators of this forum to put an end to it. There are many places on the internet to share your political views, and I come here to be spared from having to be bombarded with this everywhere I look.

I come here, and I suspect many other folks might agree, to get advice and share tips on raising poultry, recipes, help with legal issues pertaining to keeping poultry, and the charming and funny stories that people share about their BIRDS. I don't give a lick that you like or hate the government, that you think the end of the world is imminent, what your religion happens to be, that your adult children won't move out, that your gout has flared up, or anything else that doesn't pertain to CHICKENS.

Can we take this forum back please and take these other issues to their appropriate forums for discussion? It's not just off color humor or racist jokes that offend, and I'm calling for the removal of politics unrelated to poultry from this forum.

"I realize we have a section on this board called "Random Ramblings". I realize that no one is forced to click on and read any post, or to continue reading anything they don't agree with, or to post their thoughts freely as long as we maintain some semblence of respect for others. I realize we all come from different backgrounds and cultures and experiences and that these things affect our outlook on life and the world."
ummm, I think you answered your own question.

The moderators do an excellent job of removing offensive materials.
Political posts come and go. Lately there seems to be an increase of
them though.

If you don't like those posts just don't go there. A lot of us enjoy
various subjects and like talking to our friends here about these things.
Do you think you may be acting a little selfish wanting to remove topics
you don't care for. There are plenty of threads I run from. If it makes
the OP happy then I'm happy for the OP.

So, to answer your question, no, this is not the end of the forum.
However, what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy is internal within you.

In my opinion BYC is better than it's ever been.

Quote:
Well said Punk-Rock. It's nice to see you in a better mood today.
smile.png

I think there have been other threads about this recently. It seemed that the majority of the people actually appreciated that aspect of the board. The ability for us to talk about anything, and socialize here, is what makes this forum so great.

The chicken info will always be the heart and soul of BYC, but when we are given the freedom to go beyond that and get to know others, through 'random ramblings', a lot of us have been able to make new friends.

My two cents!
big_smile.png

One can always go to the index tab and click on the preferred area of reading rather than clicking on 'recent posts'.
I enjoy reading in all areas, but usually do not know answers. So, I have fun just chatting randomly.
smile.png

I learn so much on 'The Chicken Forum'!!

Last edited:
I am still a relative newbie here so am sort of afraid to add my 2 cents...

I like the fact that there is a place on BYC that allows for off topic discussion with people that are friendly and have something in common.

It seems like there is a topic for everything 'chicken' on the BYC so Random Ramblings is where all of the... "News, Current Events, Off-Topic Discussions etc. ALL FORUM RULES APPLY. Be courteous and friendly or the topic will be locked and repeat offenders will be banned from BYC." can go.

I also think that this is a great way for people who might be isolated from others for various reasons to connect on a humanistic level.

I appreciate that RR acts as a healthy, fun, polite 'chatroom' of sorts where I dont have to worry about cursing, exploitation, rudeness and other cyber garbage.

I think that RR does have a place on the board and that it is pretty well handled by the users....and thanks to the mods too!

Thanks for letting my randomly ramble...*wink*

I don't often go to the random ramblings (although I guess I'm here this am aren't I!?)and never to the games and jokes....they are generally of no interest to me.

I guess I clicked on this topic this morning because I wondered if it was anything about what my new pet peeve is.....people who post, whining because no one answered their post.
roll.png

This makes me quite sad. I will miss what used to be a great place to discuss "How To Raise Chickens In Your Urban or Country Backyard".

Enjoy your new political forum. Gee, the internet really needed another one of those.

Back
Top Bottom