Is it just me?

And strangely enough, with some really rabid fans, or philanthropists often the donations are more than a subscription would be. Win-win for everyone. Subscriptions are usually kept down to where (supposedly) anyone can afford them. Donations have no limit.
celebrate.gif
Exactly!

I was on (still am ) one Forum for 6 years which finally installed a "donations" button. The SysOp came on one day just raving about how unbelievable it was that the Forum had just received a $1,000 donation from a NON-Member who was so impressed with the content he wanted to help perpetuate the media.
ya.gif
Again, exactly! I don't care about badges and titles and all that carp. If there's hidden forums that I have to pay to be part of, I really don't care about them. The sysop can do what ever they like, but I do know a donate button helps a lot.

Interesting. I came back to this thread to post the previous post after installing AdBlock. Here's what it told me:

Now, after reading the PC World review, and the messages from the Chrome team upon installation, by default it only blocks ads which have been determined to be intrusive, obnoxious, degrade operation of a website, or faulty (code, etc.).

So..all the other ads (banners, etc) I still see are apparently "harmless, legitimate marketing tools", but AdBlock did find 18 on-site, and 8 on this page that don't measure up.
BTW, I'm having no lagging issues now.
wee.gif

Interesting. I came back to this thread to post the previous post after installing AdBlock. Here's what it told me:

Now, after reading the PC World review, and the messages from the Chrome team upon installation, by default it only blocks ads which have been determined to be intrusive, obnoxious, degrade operation of a website, or faulty (code, etc.).

So..all the other ads (banners, etc) I still see are apparently "harmless, legitimate marketing tools", but AdBlock did find 18 on-site, and 8 on this page that don't measure up.
BTW, I'm having no lagging issues now.
wee.gif
I was going to tell you to do a happy dance, but I see you already are.

I wonder how many of the thousands of websites out there have actually reviewed those "strict guidelines" referenced to give their customers/clients/members an enjoyable experience on their websites?

Again, exactly! I don't care about badges and titles and all that carp. If there's hidden forums that I have to pay to be part of, I really don't care about them. The sysop can do what ever they like, but I do know a donate button helps a lot.
Here's a funny one for you.
I just got onto Photobucket. First thing I see is a banner in the right sidebar that says, "We see you are using AdBlock. Please consider upgrading to our Ad-Free Premium Service."

lau.gif
gig.gif
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the thousands of websites out there have actually reviewed those "strict guidelines" referenced to give their customers/clients/members an enjoyable experience on their websites?

That's just it. I NEVER block ads on BYC, pretty much to support the site - but, primarily, because I'm waiting for something to appear on one of these machines, here, in order to replicate other members problems - almost always associated with a specific ad/series of ads. And, I prefer the layout of the forum itself, with ads on. Not all users have problems. Those problems not associated with some hardware/OS are badly written ads/variable speed of loading of ads downstream from server (network).

Hitting "strict" guidelines this week, looks like purest slovenliness the following; back-in-the-day one could make a few bucks beta testing, everyone having since been drafted into performing beta testing - and I don't see this ending for a number of years (don't blame me, I was perfectly happy on an ANSI compliant BBS/Usenet).

Well, there aren't enough of us GFM/PPM's to haul the freight, so running the ads helps defray the cost of running BYC, so there's that.

I usually prefer to hit a donate button on forums, rather than have subscriptions. I haven't come across a donate/paypal button yet. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, or the owners should install one.

You could start a thread requesting such. However, anyone who wants to donate can do so at present by creating an account in the BYC Store and sponsoring any member(s) who one finds particularly knowledgeable, kind, supportive, etc.. Tip-o-the-hat to the member & donation to the site (More "targeted" in utility than "here's something for the general fund").

Back
Top Bottom