Is it legal to kill a cat if...

Several years ago someone was catching and releasing skunks in my area. We are rural on a dead end road. I did talk to a game and wildlife officer at the time and he told me I could shoot them and any predator that was after my birds. At the time one was attempting to did under a gate to my chick coop pen. The pop door to the coop was partially shut so there were youngsters that were still out in the pen and it was dark, I had been distracted and almost forgot to shut the pop door. I went out and tried to scare it away but it stomped it's feet at me like a challenge. I went into the house and got my gun. It may have been a bobcat. I had a bobcat kill 14 birds one night. I love game cameras and have several around on my property.
This is a coyote early this morning behind some of the coops.
DSCF000372 07.jpg

I find it hard to believe that a cat killed a rooster, a hen maybe . From personal experience I had a stray rooster and a stray cat that slept together. I tried introducing my own cats to my roosters and all the roosters had to do was their little dance and the cat was gone. I'm very sorry for your losses but I think you have a bigger predator lurking.

Iv'e seen a cat kill and partially eat a game rooster.
Cat was injured in the mess and died a few days later. So it isn't the norm by any means but it is possible. :)
I find it hard to believe that a cat killed a rooster, a hen maybe . From personal experience I had a stray rooster and a stray cat that slept together. I tried introducing my own cats to my roosters and all the roosters had to do was their little dance and the cat was gone. I'm very sorry for your losses but I think you have a bigger predator lurking.

Back
Top Bottom