Is it Marek's??

tahlias

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Hi Guys

I am a brand new chicken owner (just bought my first 3 pekin bantams home 2 weeks ago)

On Saturday (2 days ago) I noticed my Buff pekin "Henny Penny" not being able to walk funny, but it didnt seem like either of her legs were hurt, just that she couldnt stand up for very long, but managed to shuffle around with her friends.

Then on Sunday it got worse, unable to move around as much, at one point I found her on her back with the other 2 pecking at her feet. I turned her upright and she seemed ok, threw some food near her and she ate.

Then I checked her this morning (monday) and she was on her back again. And Sunday night I think I should metnion I had to pick her up to put her in her nesting box to sleep. I put water near her Monday morning and food and she drank and ate happily but is unable to move anymore to get to her food or water.

Is this Marek's disease or could it be something else?

I'm getting my partner to buy some electolytes/vitamin mix today to give to her and separate her from her buddies incase its infectious and so she has access to her own food and water at all times.

Please please please, urgent help needed. Please tell me its not Marek's!

Thanks.

Hi there I just had the same thing happen to one of my chickens. I had to put him down it was marek's. He was acting the same way your hen is.Hopefully it's not but if you search on here for the disease there is alot of good info on here. sorry to here this about your hen.

If it is Marek's which I strongly suspect, is there anything I can do for her?

Any cure?

Or if not, anything I can do to make her more comfortable??

Thanks.

I am hoping it's a vitamin deficiency and you can fix it, I have read a lack of vitamin B can effect there legs. If it's Marek's their is no treatment. Here's the symptoms.
Marek's Disease
Synonyms: acute leukosis, neural leukosis, range paralysis, gray eye (when eye affected)

Species affected: Chickens between 12 to 25 weeks of age are most commonly clinically affected. Occasionally pheasants, quail, game fowl and turkeys can be infected.

Clinical signs: Marek's disease is a type of avian cancer. Tumors in nerves cause lameness and paralysis. Tumors can occur in the eyes and cause irregularly shaped pupils and blindness. Tumors of the liver, kidney, spleen, gonads, pancreas, proventriculus, lungs, muscles, and skin can cause incoordination, unthriftiness, paleness, weak labored breathing, and enlarged feather follicles. In terminal stages, the birds are emaciated with pale, scaly combs and greenish diarrhea (see Table 2).

Marek's disease is very similar to Lymphoid Leukosis, but Marek's usually occurs in chickens 12 to 25 weeks of age and Lymphoid Leukosis usually starts at 16 weeks of age.

Transmission: The Marek's virus is transmitted by air within the poultry house. It is in the feather dander, chicken house dust, feces and saliva. Infected birds carry the virus in their blood for life and are a source of infection for susceptible birds.

Treatment: none

Prevention: Chicks can be vaccinated at the hatchery. While the vaccination prevents tumor formation, it does not prevent infection by the virus.

Does she have any of the other symptoms?

Thanks Suzierd

I'm hoping its a Vit Deficiency also. I've sent my partner to the pet store today and he's picked up a bird vitamin mix which we'll give to her and they also suggested giving her some boiled egg for protein to help her get stronger.

The only real symptom I notice is that she can't stand up, she can't even sit up anymore, shes usually on her back when we go and find her, but now shes inside in a small box hopefully that will help her stay upright and she won't have to bother about her buddies jumping all over her.

When she is upside down her head seems to stay upright thought which is quite strange, she looks like the exorcist or something!

When I first noticed her losing her balance if she tried to walk backwards she'd just flop on her back.

I checked her feet for sores, and tried to check for breaks as best I could without trying to stress her out and couldn't see/feel anything.

And as I was holding her I didn't feel like she was underweight, but I'm so new at this I have no idea what they are meant to "feel" like at this age (she's between 10-12weeks old).

Her eyes were clear yesterday when I looked at them, but I haven't checked her feather follicles, I'll do that as soon as I get home and report back.

Anyone know of a timeframe I'm looking at if its a Vit Deficiency for her to recover? and If its Marek's how long will it take before she dies?

PS - she does have diarrhea, but I wouldnt say its very green, more a dark colour.

Haven't noticed any scaley combs or anything, she generally looks very healthy and is still eating and drinking like a champion.

Ok, so my partner went to the pet shop and they didnt have specific poultry vitamins but he spoke to them and they gave us AVI-VITE, it seems to have all the standard vitamins in there (A, B, D, E).

It's in her water so hopefully she drinks it tomorrow when she's awake.

Should I be trying to make up the oatmeal/egg/yogurt recipe to give to her as well to see if that helps?

Also i've heard that sardine oil is good for some vitamin deficencies, or am I just going overboard now?

One last thing - If it is Marek's i've read elsewhere that its good to give them a bit of aspirin. Has anyone else heard of this treatment? If so what is the dosage? I read somewhere 55mg per 1L water??

Thankyou all for reading/replying, you're help is much appreciated!

I think the oatmeal/egg/yogurt is a good idea and I would mash up a vit B pill an sprinkle a little on the food so she gets a extra boost. I don't know about the sardine oil.
The usual dosage recommended on BYC is 5 regular aspirin (no substitutes) crushed and mixed with one gallon water.

Last edited:
This is a great thread as i am trying to determine if my two year old cochin bantam has it as well.

What is the status of your pekin bantam TALZIAS?

CHRISTIE: I have concern for my bantam too as well as the baby chick she hatched and is caring for (not her egg though, from another hen from my flock), my flock

Here are her symptoms:
She is one of the original chicks from my flock and is about two years old
Not roosting anymore - prefers to sit on the floor of the coop/hen house
Missing her food bowl a lot when trying to eat - when she eats - very low appetite
Walks very slowly around the hen house - I put her outside and she just sat on the ramp - prefers to stay inside and on the floor in the corner
Eye looks like what a dogs would look like when you take a picture of it - greyish
Small few bumps on the outside rim of her eye (not sure if they were there before)

I purchased a medicated yellow antibiotic at my local AgWay and have that in her water and have her eating with her baby chick (1 1/2 months old) un-medicated crumble.
I have her in a separate bin with her baby chick.

Not sure what is up with her. It has been about a week with these symptoms. I'm not sure if the baby chick is infected as well since she is always with the mama and stays under her wings at night to sleep (even when they used to roost) so I have them together and away from my flock

I wondered at first if one of my original chickens is a carrier as the new pulletts I introduce all die BUT she is one of my originals and never succumbed to it so then I'm thinking maybe she doesn't have it however this one is my second cochin bantam that is sick (the other died and is one of the originals; in December with a huge growth next to her ear) so now I don't know .

I dont know what to do with the cochin or the baby chick and I have 6 new (2 week old) baby chicks in a box that I will introduce in about 4 months to the flock and now Im concerned!

Please offer up any ideas, suggestions or ask me some questions if need be.

Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom