Is it molting or aggressive rooster?

Wil781

Songster
Apr 29, 2018
Central Alabama
Hello everyone, I have a question about my hens. Two of my girls are 18 months old and the other two are a year old and they are really starting to look shabby. The rooster has always been with my girls he is a Rhode Island Red and my girls are Golden Comets. So my question is if the sudden appearance of shabby feathers on their backs and missing feathers at the base of the comb are from my rooster or molting? I have ordered saddles just in case but it sure is hot in Alabama right now, don’t want to make them anymore uncomfortable than they probably are.

Unless the hens' backs show signs of lacerations from the rooster treading, I wouldn't bother with the saddles. The damage has already been done.

This is the time when chickens are beginning fall molt. Mine sure are. They do look very frowzy at this stage.

I've used saddles in the past, and hens hate them. They also make it difficult for a hen to reach the oil gland on the back in front of the tail in order to preen and care for her feathers.

A better strategy to preserve feathers is to limit the rooster's access. My two roosters spend most of the day on their own outside the run, and they get maybe an hour or two with the hens when the hens go out to free range later in the day. I also use a Dremmel grinding tool to blunt the spurs and toenails on the roosters to minimize damage from mating.

So my question is if the sudden appearance of shabby feathers on their backs and missing feathers at the base of the comb are from my rooster or molting
Sounds like mating damage more than molting, according to the locations.

Post a pic... lets confirm it isn't possibly parasites like mites or lice adding to the issue. :pop

C5157F8E-E360-4D87-A6EA-814FC4FA0FBD.jpeg FF5C2EFE-7542-4FD0-BA75-339CA3CE59EF.jpeg 192E627A-50FC-45B0-907F-46020F9B0D4D.jpeg A2265282-E45D-4CE1-969A-FF684041E8ED.jpeg
Here are the pictures, some have more skin showing than others.

It looks like rooster damage for sure. BUT... is that fancy organic feed or heavily laden with scratch? Wow, although mealworm are a good source of protein and a nice treat... they are super high in fat and should only be fed as a personal treat not mixed into the feed. If it is scratch, switching to a formulated ration (layer, grower, or flock raiser) WILL make a difference in feather quality AND over all health and immunity of the entire flock. :)

To do your own confirmation of parasite management... you will get you best true picture checking after dark with a flashlight. Part feathers below vent and on abdomen down to the skin and look for things running away.

This time of year, the feathers are old which makes them more vulnerable to rooster damage. Mine look like they have been on a very long week-end party, straggly, and some with feathers hanging out funny.

Molting and new feathers and they will look just grand around January. In the late summer and fall, the urge to mate drops in the roosters too. So I agree, do nothing, and this will probably fix itself.

I find bareback hens bother people more than they do hens.

Mrs K

It looks like rooster damage for sure. BUT... is that fancy organic feed or heavily laden with scratch? Wow, although mealworm are a good source of protein and a nice treat... they are super high in fat and should only be fed as a personal treat not mixed into the feed. If it is scratch, switching to a formulated ration (layer, grower, or flock raiser) WILL make a difference in feather quality AND over all health and immunity of the entire flock. :)

To do your own confirmation of parasite management... you will get you best true picture checking after dark with a flashlight. Part feathers below vent and on abdomen down to the skin and look for things running away.
I feed flock raiser and give oyster shell on the side (due to roo not sure he needs an overload in calcium) the feeder in the pic is scratch but my girls don’t like the cracked corn so fixing to trash what is left. I throw them a few mealworms but put them in the feeder today just to get pictures. I have looked for parasites and have not seen a thing. I just think it strange that all of a sudden that Mr. P is getting aggressive. I ordered the saddles and they will be in tomorrow so I guess I will give those a try.

I just think it strange that all of a sudden that Mr. P is getting aggressive.
Can you please describe what is being viewed as aggressive behavior? I agree with Mrs. K that feathers can be fairly worn this time of year.

Is he coming after you? Standing on the hens after done mating and pecking their combs? Chasing the ladies away from feed?

Back
Top Bottom