Is it my fault the rooster doesn't like me?

Yipe! I posted that before finding out Lester's demise. I hope this entry finds you. So sorry! I miss my guy and he was a jerk.

Lester is in the fridge because he was a pest instead of a pet. Lester is where he belongs and would have been there sooner had he been mine. I enjoy my chickens, and love to be around them, but if and when one of them decides to bully me around on a consistent basis, I will establish my dominance one way or the other.

Good for you needageekette. Now you can enjoy the rest of your flock.

Lester is in the fridge because he was a pest instead of a pet. Lester is where he belongs and would have been there sooner had he been mine. I enjoy my chickens, and love to be around them, but if and when one of them decides to bully me around on a consistent basis, I will establish my dominance one way or the other.

Good for you needageekette. Now you can enjoy the rest of your flock.
There is no need for a tone, especially since I was not asking you.

Thanks Tracecom - you are right.

I tried but it got to the point I could no longer walk in the yard or walk out on my porch. Anyway, 4 roosters is way too many for 10 hens. I knew at least 2 had to go. So, the attacking me and the gang raping - stepping on a hens head while another rooster had his way with her, made my decision easier.

Today was a good day - I enjoyed my chickens.

Last edited:
Thanks Tracecom - you are right.

I tried but it got to the point I could no longer walk in the yard or walk out on my porch. Anyway, 4 roosters is way too many for 10 hens. I knew at least 2 had to go. So, the attacking me and the gang raping - stepping on a hens head while another rooster had his way with her, made my decision easier.

Today was a good day - I enjoyed my chickens.

I am happy for you, and wish you well.

I have a 5 month old Brown Leghorn rooster named "Lester" that seems to have it out for me. At this point, he doesn't seem to have a problem with my husband - So, my husband thinks I am paranoid, however, I am the one he jumps at when I turn my back. Lester doesn't have spurs yet, however, I am starting to be very uncomfortable around him and am dreading the day he does have them. All the hens love him - following him everywhere.

If I try to explain to my husband that I am afraid and I can tell that "Lester" is posturing - my husband doesn't see his behavior as aggressive. Lester is the Alpha and we have 3 other roosters that are really nice to me and I am not afraid of them. We are newbies and still have a lot to learn. I am getting discouraged. :(
Lester neither likes nor dislikes you. Dislike is an emotion. Chickens including roosters have no emotions. However they do follow the dictates of the pecking order in the matter of individual machismo or flock power dynamics. Lester sees you as a human that he can dominate.

Back
Top Bottom