Is it my fault the rooster doesn't like me?

I have a roo that is fixing to be in the freezer as well. I never had fear and one day he just started attacking me from behind. We have had it out and I'm not afraid to go after him. He never attacked my husband, and my husband thought I was crazy until one day he watched the roo attack me from behind. Finally after a month he started attacking my husband. I assure you, my husband was not afraid or worried about being attacked by him. He is just a mean roo, probably doing his job protecting the ladies, but never the less, he is on barrowed time. He would already be in the freezer if it was up to my husband. Until I get a more protected run he can keep on coming at me, he seems to be keeping them safe. But like others said, there are roo's that are nice and not aggressive. It's not worth being beat up every time you go to the coop. Fighting back has not helped me at all. I have to carry a stick every time I go check the ladies. Its not fun at all. My roo don't even have competition, but he has to go. I have already ordered two to replace him. Hoping I can get one nice one eventually. When I was telling my aunt ( that had raised her fair share of chickens growing up on a farm), she said "cut its neck , there is no place for a mean roo in your flock". I had to laugh but I could never see her putting up with being attack by a chicken. Sorry about Lester, despite what some are saying, you just cant fix them sometimes (I was holding out). Hope the others you have
Killing him really is not funny. He is not being spiteful or anything that needs punished like you make it sound like. He is just doing his job.

No one thinks culling a mean rooster is funny....although they do taste better lol. But unless you're personally willing to house all the roosters with behavior issues for their natural lives, please refrain from giving folks who butcher a hard time.
Sheesh, at least these folks have tried to rehab their birds. At my place, you can be sweet as pie but if you're male, you still get butchered.

He did say he thought it was funny.
It really is not behavior issues. They are just being roosters, and it really is not fair to say something needs to die just because you do not like how they naturally act, even though you brought them into this world. Butchering should not be a personal preference or opinion, they are lives...But, whatever. The majority excepts it so it has become king, I guess. I was not trying to kick up a futile discussion. It was just upsetting to see how he ended after it seemed other alternatives where going to be put to use. I would not have originally posted if this appeared to be a thread where the rooster dies, in the beginning.

Last edited:
It really is not behavior issues. They are just being roosters, and it really is not fair to say something needs to die just because you do not like how they naturally act, even though you brought them into this world. Butchering should not be a personal preference or opinion, they are lives...But, whatever. The majority excepts it so it has become king, I guess. I was not trying to kick up a futile discussion. It was just upsetting to see how he ended after it seemed other alternatives where going to be put to use. I would not have originally posted if this appeared to be a thread where the rooster dies, in the beginning.

Just because alternative methods are going to be tried, does not mean the rooster is amenable to them. If the rooster cannot change his behavior even with alternative methods, then harder decisions need to be made. I believe that this rooster was not only attacking the human, but being extremely rough on the hens. If my rooster was doing the same, I would feel the need to take his life as well. Not as punishment--as a final solution. I would not foist him on someone else through craigslist or the paper. I would take responsibility for my animal.

So far I am fortunate--my roo's temperament has allowed him to back off from aggression to humans. He is getting a little rougher with the girls, but nothing that is not natural, so I will accept it. But if I feel that he is a danger to guests at my house, or my family and/or becomes distressing to the hens--I will take care if him.

Judging people for the difficult decisions they make is not helpful or particularly nice. I know I would 'do what I need to do' if I have to, but I would feel very badly and I am sure many other people do as well.

Thanks SimplyLogan,
It sounds like you are going through the same thing I did. I still have 2 roosters that are good so far but they are still young and you never know. I am trying to learn as much as I can about chicken behavior so I can nip it in the bud before they start attacking me. I always appreciate advice from people that have been successful but I really don't appreciate it when someone that thinks they know everything and then makes me feel guilty because I had to make a hard choice. I will keep you posted on how it goes with Cuckoo and Jack. I hope you get a nice rooster also.

Last edited:
Thank you Cafrhe,
I started this post on backyardchickens because I wanted advice from people more experienced than I. I tried what was suggested but it didn't work for me. Yes, the comment judging me when I posted the update was very hurtful and not helpful. I feel that comments should always be helpful. My mom always said that if you don't have something good to say ...... Anyway, I appreciate all the good advice I am getting on this website and find most very very helpful. Thanks!

This is not the forum for anti-meat tirades. Butchering is the fate for the vast majority of chickens.

And no, attacking their owners is not just "being roosters". We don't accept human aggressiveness in any other species of livestock, so there's no reason to accept it here.

This is not the forum for anti-meat tirades. Butchering is the fate for the vast majority of chickens.

And no, attacking their owners is not just "being roosters". We don't accept human aggressiveness in any other species of livestock, so there's no reason to accept it here.

Very nicely stated
big_smile.png
. Different people are raising their chickens for different reasons. They are not all going to some chicken sanctuary. On our farm, if you are a rooster, your odds of becoming dinner are 99%. We raise chickens for eggs and meat. Others raise them for show, breeding, whatever. To each their own. @Free Feather , how you run your farm is your business and you are entitled to your opinion, but you really should try to be more helpful and not judge so harshly.

I skipped from page one to page 8 so I'm not sure what's been tried, but after getting attacked by our rooster a couple of times, I started carrying a good spray bottle with a strong stream setting on it, and I spray him with it if he's in range and not moving out of my way.

He no longer likes me, he thinks I'm rather rude, and spit.... and tries to stay far away from me. Win Win !

I don't know if I will always have to carry the spray bottle with me, but I am for now. As it turns out, I've decided spray bottles are rather handy tools for moving chickens, goats, and pigs too, when necessary.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom