Is it my fault the rooster doesn't like me?

I don't think you understand - I had 4 roosters with 10 hens! I didn't want to "kill" Lester but had no choice. You cant sell them and if I give them away then they are food for someone else. Would you keep 4 roosters if they were hurting your hens and attacking you? I didn't order roosters - I ordered all pullets but they sent 4 roosters. I wanted Lester to be one of the 2 I was going to keep but he made my life miserable and at my age, I don't need that.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand - I had 4 roosters with 10 hens! I didn't want to "kill" Lester but had no choice. You cant sell them and if I give them away then they are food for someone else. Would you keep 4 roosters if they were hurting your hens and attacking you? I didn't order roosters - I ordered all pullets but they sent 4 roosters. I wanted Lester to be one of the 2 I was going to keep but he made my life miserable and at my age, I don't need that.
All animal species have individuals with different temperaments; there are mean dogs, mean cattle, mean horses, and mean chickens, just as there are docile and lovable individuals. I just posted an ad on Craigslist to sell a Buff Orpington roo that I don't need, because I have another roo whose genes I want to propagate. The rooster that I am selling is not mean; in fact, he is totally non-aggressive. For that reason, I am going to the trouble to try to sell him rather than to slaughter him. I am asking more for him than he is worth in the hope that, if he sells, he won't wind up on the dinner table. If his temperament was bad, he would already be at freezer camp. Here's a picture of "Prince."

Last edited:
Refrain from fighting with the rooster. Concentrate first on reading him and seeing how your actions effect his, The fighting / hosing business generally makes things worse unless you are willing to take into a realm that is considered by some to be inhumane,,

I agree. Not sure if this was mentioned as I didn't read all 7 pages (confession). I have a SS roo (named Sue). Sue has always been very attentive to the hens and has done wonderful. One day this past summer he decided to lash out on me! I had my arms full of 2 huge bowl of feed. He was walking closely beside me when all the sudden he just attacked me and kept flogging me. UGH! I (gently) kicked him away from me, picked up what feed I could, probably cursed him, then went about to feed the flock.

The next day, same thing. Except, I caught him and put him in a large dog crate. He got an attitude adjustment. After 2 weeks of solitaire confinement, I let him back with the flock. I have had no problems since.

ETA: AHHH! After reading further, I see you took care of your problem. I also had to make that tough choice with the most beautiful RIR roo we had. He was constantly beating up the hens. Sorry. Hope the above advice helps you with the other roos.

Last edited:
The "I don't think you understand" post was meant for "Free Feather" because I felt like I was being chastised. Thanks for sticking up for me Tracecom. I am still new at this and I am trying really hard to do everything correctly.

Thanks Outpost -
I do have 2 roosters now that seem to be working out really well - so far. In the future if they give me or the hens trouble I will try some the techniques that has been posted. I like the dog crate idea :)

I have a roo that is fixing to be in the freezer as well. I never had fear and one day he just started attacking me from behind. We have had it out and I'm not afraid to go after him. He never attacked my husband, and my husband thought I was crazy until one day he watched the roo attack me from behind. Finally after a month he started attacking my husband. I assure you, my husband was not afraid or worried about being attacked by him. He is just a mean roo, probably doing his job protecting the ladies, but never the less, he is on barrowed time. He would already be in the freezer if it was up to my husband. Until I get a more protected run he can keep on coming at me, he seems to be keeping them safe. But like others said, there are roo's that are nice and not aggressive. It's not worth being beat up every time you go to the coop. Fighting back has not helped me at all. I have to carry a stick every time I go check the ladies. Its not fun at all. My roo don't even have competition, but he has to go. I have already ordered two to replace him. Hoping I can get one nice one eventually. When I was telling my aunt ( that had raised her fair share of chickens growing up on a farm), she said "cut its neck , there is no place for a mean roo in your flock". I had to laugh but I could never see her putting up with being attack by a chicken. Sorry about Lester, despite what some are saying, you just cant fix them sometimes (I was holding out). Hope the others you have a nice.

Back
Top Bottom