Is it necessary to put a top on the chicken yard and run

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by patrickj, Apr 8, 2012.

1. patrickj

patrickj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Have a nice sturdy coop built. I will build an area surrounding the coop so that I may leave
    them be for a couple days at a time. I am in Texas. There are owls and foxes, skunks.
    Is it necessary to put a top on the outside fenced area they will have access to with door open
    to coop when I am away?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    if you plan on leaving the door open it would probably be a good idea. To keep hawks and owls out. And defiantly if y'all got raccoons too.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, it's a good idea. I leave the popdoor open 24/7 and went all out and gave them a hardwarecloth enclosed 20x32 ft outside space with a 7x8 coop inside it. And since we discovered yesterday that we have a bear prowling about I'm going to enclose this whole thing in a electric netting fence. Here's a picture w/o the electronet since I still have to get it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    It is always best, yes. The list of aerial predators you mentioned is enough to warrant it.

5. patrickj

patrickj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, guess that is a a yes....thank you.

My main motive is for tick eating, of course eggs will be lovely. We've a real problem here the past three years. The wasps stopped building nests...and now I have ticks and a couple of dogs..ugh.

I know Guineas are tick monsters..but noisy, so I am going to do chickens. Are there breeds that will do better with these bad boys that we know of?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by