Is it normal for a chick to not be able to get it's head in an up-right position?

Jennahfly1980

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
New chick mum here. One and only hatched today and it doesn't seem to be able to get it's head all the way up to a normal position. Wry neck? Or could it just be that hatching was very labored(It got stuck/shrink wrapped and I had to assist plus it was a very small egg)? Is there a chance it will correct with time? Thank you for any info. Blessings Jenn

But it's like it can't get past a certain point. When I try to gently help it into an up-right position, it seems to reject that, seems to feel uncomfortable sort of.

Hmm could you get some photos? How many hours old is it?
My chick took a few hours after hatching to gain enough strength to sit up properly. Once they dry off they should be able to hold their neck in the right position while awake.
Here's some photos of mine straight after hatching and then photos of right neck position once dried off

IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0054.JPG

Hopefully this will help

Is it in the brooder? What are you using for a heat source? Are you putting crumble on the floor of brooder? In a paper plate, or on a piece of cardboard, or on paper towel? Chicks initially do best if they walk through their feed! She may have ample yolk resources so is not hungry yet. If you have not bought Poultry Nutri Drench, I strongly urge you to buy some and use it for the first 2 weeks.

It's dry. 9 hrs out of the egg. Sleeping a lot. Not super fluffy. I have tried to gently fluff the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom