is it normal for chickens to act they have never eaten

Quote:
I refill feeders at night after they go to bed for the same reason. Mine take it a step further though and will fly up and try to get in the bag of feed, inside the feeder (I use homemade feeders that are 5 gallon pail size), on the edges of the feeders....
roll.png
I can't get anything done with them underfoot.
lol.png

ep.gif
wow- 100 birds- what do you do with all the poop?!! Mine seem to be manure machines...I was looking at the floor of their coop and where isn't there poo? I just mucked there coop 2 weekends ago and "mix" fluff whatever their shavings on Wed....

Quote:
I would LOVE to see pics of your setup for caring for so many birds. All are really pretty. I have about a hundred and am looking for pics of setups involving large numbers of chickens and mixed fowl flocks.

I have somewhere over 160 chickens and my chicken house is a single wide mobile home that I used to live in. I have a long pole that I used to keep all them back while picking up the feeders and putting them back down. I feed everyone indoors so I don't have to feed all the birds in the neighborhool. When I go buy feed I bring it home and empty the bags of feed into plastic totes. I don't have any pictures of my setup. My husband wants to get some of the hanging feeders but there is no way to hang the feeders so if I did get some of those I would have to put them up on cement blocks. Maybe there would be less wasted feed.

Quote:
Deep litter method- throw corn on the floor in the coop and the chickens will keep it "aerated". I clean it about once a month or so cuz they eat the hay seeds and I have "super" hay mulch for my gardens. I REALLY like to garden so I ALWAYS need hay for mulch. Works great!!

Quote:
I refill feeders at night after they go to bed for the same reason. Mine take it a step further though and will fly up and try to get in the bag of feed, inside the feeder (I use homemade feeders that are 5 gallon pail size), on the edges of the feeders....
roll.png
I can't get anything done with them underfoot.
lol.png

I leave my feed in a enclosed trailor cause i buy a ton at a time, then I just toss the bag on my shoulder and pull the string, then i pour the feed into rubber tubs and some stainelles trays.
Done in 60 seconds...LOL:thumbsup

For water i use big clear flat totes,i place concrete pieces i have in the tote in case a little one falls in so they can get out cost 5 dollars and they last about a year.

Back
Top Bottom