is it normal for chickens to act they have never eaten

coldinnh

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2010
NH
every morning when I let the ladies out to free range for the day and I throw scratch down they act as if they have not seen food for days (same thing at night when they go into their coop area and see their feed) but they have access all day and night to their feed and water. (Extra water during the day but they seem to like the fish barrel instead). Should I be feeding more feed and scratch? They love to free range and I see them neatly trimmng the lawn. (1 area my husband no longer has to mow they keep it so trimmed). Or is this normal? They appear to growing and happy.

Chickens are nothing more than pigs with wings and feathers. I just keep their feeder full and accept that fact.

When you throw scratch out it's "new" food and the flock mentality overtakes them. If one is eating new food it might be good so they all MUST EAT IT NOW!!!
roll.png

If they've got free access to food and an area to free-range they're just fine. Don't worry about it. It's normal for them to behave like heathens when they think they might be missing out on something.
wink.png

All I have to do is touch a feeder and they all think it's something new and exciting and come running to gobble up the feed. Same feed that was already in there, but my magic touch made it all the more scrumptious.
lol.png

Yep they do...

I have to sneak out before daylight so i can dump a bag of feed cause i got so many it's hard to move when they are standing on my feet.

lunch.jpg

I LOVE the look on the dog in the picture!!

My chickens even take it a bit farther - I refill their food when it's low - but there is still some in there. They still act like I'm not feeding them - Hello!! The food I'm putting in isn't even coming out yet dummies! You're eating the same thing that was sitting in the dish 10 minutes ago!

But no, the hungry horde decends on the "new" old food.
roll.png

Quote:
I would LOVE to see pics of your setup for caring for so many birds. All are really pretty. I have about a hundred and am looking for pics of setups involving large numbers of chickens and mixed fowl flocks.

Back
Top Bottom