Is it normal for ducklings to have hot legs?

DuckiesAndBees

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I was just holding my two ducklings and I noticed that both of them had very hot legs. They were sitting next to my arms and I was surprised by how hot their legs were. Are they too hot? It's pretty warm here, with highs in the 80s and lows in the upper 60s or low 70s. They were sleeping pretty far away from the heat lamp so I moved it away and angled it towards only half the brooder. They are only just over a week old, so it's still too early to completely take away the lamp, right? Thanks!

my ducklings were always very warm, i dont think its a problem at all.

feel their beak, that was always much warmer than their feet when I held my ducks

I especially notice it when they are going through a growth spurt. I have often wondered if it has anything to do with their metabolism or the blood supply system they have in their legs and feet. It would be too early to take the lamp away completely- the temperature could drop suddenly and at that age they would chill very quickly.

Either it's normal, or all our ducklings had a fever! I was worried too when I felt a warm bill or foot, but no other signs something could be wrong, and they all did it.

Thanks! It's amazing how much I love and worry about these little ones after only having them for a week!

I was just reading that a normal duck temperature is between 104F and 109F, which would feel fairly warm. I think they can regulate (at least a bit) how much heat they lose through their feet, so that if it's really cold their feet would be cooler. Maybe your situation is a sign that their brooder temperature is fine - no need to conserve heat.

If there's no swelling or obvious wound I wouldn't worry much, but this just occurred to me - how would you take their temp? With a rectal thermometer or under the wing?

Back
Top Bottom