Is it normal I keep finding alot of unfertile eggs from sebrights and japanese bantams?

Gian AviFarm

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2024
Brahma & pekins are very fertile but i seem to be getting no luck with fertilty of sebrights and japanese bantams.

Anyone can help me pinpoint the reason why? Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

Anyone can help me pinpoint the reason why?
Not without some information. How many boys? How many girls? How old are they, boys and girls? How are they housed, in separate breeding pens or one big flock? How big is each coop and run in feet or meters? What are you doing to determine if they are fertile or not? The more information you can give the more likely we will spot something that is significant.

Ive heard from an expert Japanese Bantam breeder in Pennsylvania (Mr. Leo Dunn if I'm not mistaken) that he achieves really high fertility rates. He did mention however that sebrights fertility is incredible low: five fertile eggs out of like 50 or 100 is considered good!

The Japanese may also have a harder time getting consistent fertility due to the males short legs. Besides that, however, id think it might just be a genetic thing. I used to have some hatchery bantams which had TERRIBLE fertility rates. I switched over to a show quality line of the same breed and just had nearly 100% fertility rate with a batch of eggs in the incubator.

For comparison:
I had 10 eggs from my own 2 hens and 1 rooster, 9/9 hatched
Last year 7/7 und brood hen.

Eggs via postal service, first bunch 31 (from 3 locations, first batch 0/9, only 1/10 from second batch hatched and 6/12 from a third batch) and still 22 in the incubator (from 2 different sources, one who hatched the only one, but the rate is not good in those), after first canceling seems 12-14 are fertile.
Seems a question of quality (and postal service, several arrived cracked even with correct packaging).

Back
Top Bottom