Is it normal to feel chicken breast bone

Chickenoreo

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
I noticed its really pointy but don’t know if it’s normal to feel since she was sick about two weeks ago with sour crop. I do see her eating blueberries, water, feed and some bugs. She also has gained some weight back but I would think that I wouldn’t feel the breast bone by now

I noticed its really pointy but don’t know if it’s normal to feel since she was sick about two weeks ago with sour crop. I do see her eating blueberries, water, feed and some bugs. She also has gained some weight back but I would think that I wouldn’t feel the breast bone by now

It depends on the kind of chicken.

For layer-type hens (especially Leghorns and similar white-egg breeds), you can always feel their breastbone, and it does feel rather pointy.

For heavier types of chickens, you can typically feel their breastbone but it is not as pointy, because they have more muscle near it.

The only chickens where you might not feel the breastbone are the extreme meat kinds, such as Cornish Cross. They get such giant breast muscles that the breastbone may seem to be indented instead of sticking out.

If your hen is eating as much chicken feed as she wants, and has gained some weight back, then I would just let her keep doing that. Healthy chickens are usually good at eating the right amount of feed. Hopefully she will finish recovering soon!

In the future, you might try feeling her breastbone regularly, just so you get used to what is normal for your specific chicken.

Back
Top Bottom