1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it normal to get an egg every day from a first-time layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenesis536, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I still don't know which one of my girls are laying the eggs, but we got the first one on Sunday, another yesterday and a 3rd today... all perfect and in the nest box. I'm pretty sure it's the same girl, but I guess I was expecting them to be a little less frequent in the beginning. I am so excited everything is going so well!

2. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    It's my understanding that a hen will lay approximately every 26 hours. They lay best their first year. The first year, our girls had a schedule like this: day 1 morning egg, day 2 mid morning, day 3 afternoon, day 4 maybe late afternoon, day 5 they take off, start over again with morning egg.

Sounds like all is well [​IMG]

3. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I didn't know that - great info. The first day I have no idea when it was laid... I found it at about 3. Day 2 I found it at the same time. Today we found it at 5, but no idea when any of them were actually laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by