Is it normal to loose chicks as time goes on?

Themagicone

Chirping
Aug 28, 2018
Ramsey, MN
I decided to go big and bought 75 cornish crosses. All 75 arrived healthy and alive. One died a day later, then another. 2 weeks in one of the chicks was a lot smaller than the rest and ended up dying. Now at 3 weeks I notice another one that hasn't kept up in size and is weak. I doubt it'll make it much longer. Is this normal on this amount of chickens? It's hard for me to keep an eye on specific ones as there are so many.

On top of that, it sounds like they are all sneezing. No gasping for air or discharge, just a quick sneeze and head shake. They are finishing up their medicated starter and will go on grower shortly. Should I stay on medicated?

With that many chicks, overcrowding can cause problems, one being overheating due to chicks not all having enough room to shed excess heat.

What is the size of your brooder? Where is it located? What is the ambient temp? What is the temperature under the heat source? How many heat devices? What is the temperature farthest from the heat source?

Right now I have them in a 8x8 pen. There are 3 lights across the back then food is on the opposite side. I'm maintaining 85-90 by the lights, I haven't measured by the food. The photo was taken how I had it first with the lights spread in each corner but as they've gotten bigger I swapped it around so they'd have to walk more to the food.

Plan was to move them to a different coop and let them have some green space but the weather took a nose dive. 20-30 at night vs the 40-55 it has been. I haven't figure out what to do to give them more room just yet. Only thing I can think of is adding another 8x8 box so they'd have 16x8 of space.

Attachments

• 20200324_172028.jpg
    20200324_172028.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 16
Some current photos of the chicks, their poop and the set-up would be good.
Poop photos if you can get that in natural lighting would be helpful as well.

What are you feeding?

Check the label on your medicated feed. Is the only medicine Amprolium? Most of the time it is but some meat bird medicated feeds can have different medicines.

If it is Amprolium and only Amprolium, it will not help you with that. Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It's sole purpose it to inhibit the reproduction of the protozoa that causes Coccidiosis. It will not help with sneezing.

I'll try to get a photo of poop here once I get more light. Besides the sneezing and few that died they seem to be doing alright. Food is 21% broiler starter.

Attachments

• 15865257877183411798690397201880.jpg
    15865257877183411798690397201880.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom