Is it normal?

lilmarie84

Songster
Mar 28, 2017
Kenner, LA.
I have 5 hens that are 7 months old and every single one of them have started laying and giving what time of the year it is I was wanting to know if it was normal that one of my white rocks hasn't laid in 2 weeks. I know that they slow down laying in the winter but is it normal to go 2 weeks or longer is there cause for concern or not is it just the winter season or is there something else it could be

They take breaks, it's normal, and happens year round. Some are short, weeks, some are longer. Some of mine will take months off in the heat of summer, or the dark cold of winter. What breed they are can make a big difference in how often it happens.

Heck! My hens took a two month break last year, and it looks likes we're doing another long break this year. Their break time seems to start with an annual molt. This year, however, my entire flock got fowl pox and then molted, so their break has been longer. I'm not worried, though.

I've read that hens, like human women, are born with a certain number of egg cells. If they use up too many while they're young, they may not lay at all in their older age. This is why I opted not to get production bred layers. I didn't want to end up with a bunch of 3-5 year old chickens in early hen-opause.

I don't mind buying eggs during these breaks because I get way more than I know what to do with when they are all laying anyhow.

I've read that hens, like human women, are born with a certain number of egg cells. If they use up too many while they're young, they may not lay at all in their older age. This is why I opted not to get production bred layers. I didn't want to end up with a bunch of 3-5 year old chickens in early hen-opause.
Not sure about humans (my google is 'broken' at the moment),
but female chickens are born with way, way more ova than they'll ever release in even a long lifetime. How long in years they will lay has more to do with overall health and management, they do not "use up too many while they're young".

Back
Top Bottom