Is it O.K?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluckgirl, Nov 13, 2012.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I am looking to buy a Barred Rock rooster that is used to warm/hot climates. We live in a cold climate where it gets into the single digits in the winter. Would the climate differences have a bad effect on him or would he adjust?

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Just my opinion but I would think as long as he has time to adjust to the change in temp he would be fine.

I don't know where you are located but where I am in western PA it's too late for a bird to acclimate to the change in temps. We've already had nights below freezing and days that it doesn't get above 40.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    It has been up and down here. Some days we get above 40 degrees, and others we get below 40 degrees. The chicken coop is always above 40 degrees though. Do you still think he may be fine with the temperature differences?

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    What are the temps where is he living in now?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think he'll be fine. We've had freak cold snaps that the birds weren't "adjusted" to (hence the freak part) and never lost a bird or had any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by