Is it ok for my ducklings to eat flies

Herb81003

Hatching
Aug 9, 2022
I put my five 2 week old muscovy ducklings in my backyard garden for a couple hours a day which is full of flies (common green bottle flies I think), and the ducklings seem to love it as i always see them chasing them. I am afraid that this could be dangerous though as they eat so much their poop is completely black. And yes, I do always have other food for them available.

I love watching mine snatch bugs out of the air. This past Spring, when all the flies woke, the Muscovy did such a good job clearing them out that we barely got any in the house, compared to last year where we had to have fly strips all over the place just to keep the numbers manageable!

My two muscovy drakes -- both a year old -- have never caught a fly in their lives. They make head movements towards butterflies but ignore flies. ANd head movements only. They don;t get off their fat butts to actually try and catch a butterfly. I think I will have to cut their food ration as they are obviously too full to care about catching food!!!!

Back
Top Bottom