1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok that my still air incubator.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelseygirl707, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Is it ok that my still air incubator stays around 100.9-101.3 all day but then goes down to 99.5-100.4 at night, I'm only getting like three hours of sleep a night, because I'm afraid of my temps dropping to low in the night, then I'm afraid to adjust it at night, because I worry that it will then heat up too much during the day if I am not around to re adjust from the night. I can't live on 3 hours a night, it's only been 3 days, and already I'm exausted! I plan to buy a Hovabator 1588 on friday when I get paid, and use my little giant I'm using now as the hatcher, but until it arrives are my temps ok? And I sould have better temp control with the 1588 right?

Thanks,
    I know I ask a lot of questions, I just never thought hatching would be so nerve racking! [​IMG] thank you all for being so helpful. [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It is actually recommended that you run your still air incubators at 101.

3. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    It does run around 101 all day, but is it ok that the temp drops at night?

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It should be fine. Eggs will still incubate in a still air at 99F but they may hatch late. That's why you usually run it 101-102 but it's better to be a little low than let it get over 102 frequently or for too long.

5. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thank you soo much, I'm so tired, and thats what I need to hear to be able to relax! [​IMG]

6. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I have the same bator and it does the same thing. I am on day 11, just candled last night and have at least 25 out of 29 good. I was worried about the temp also but everything seem to be going ok. Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for asking the question about temp. I have hatched many years ago and now doing it all again after saying I'd never do it again...
    My temps actually are running at 100 F . I could only get it to 100 or 101.6 and assumed that 100 would be healthier then the latter.
    I have a small fan in my bator, this is my first.
    Good luck to you, how many days left???

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I just got my LG still air bator , I got it to stablize so its always between 100-100.9 , so I put the eggs in and it of course droped down , this morning it was stable at 99.4-99.8 but when I put the probe in the water wiggler when I turned them it read 100.6 so Im crossing my fingers everything is ok for the 6 hours I am gone.
    Good luck to you , I am sending you lots and lots of good hatching vibes

9. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Oh thank you all for the wonderful answers, I'm a teeny tiny bit more relaxed, LOL! I'm only on day 3, they go into the hatcher on March 26, they are due March 29th. I also Just bought some silkie eggs on the 24 hour crazy auction thread, and those will be going in the Bator as soon as they arrive.

Thank you all! [​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Thank you and i'm sending you all lots and lots of good hatching JuJu, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by