1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok to add a fan after incubation has started?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TAGchick, Feb 24, 2017.

1. TAGchick

TAGchick New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    I'm hatching 12 eggs in my classroom where I teach elementary gifted students. I have a still air incubator at the suggestion of other egg hatchers I know, but after much of my own research I now see that I need a fan to get a good hatch rate. My eggs have been in the incubator since yesterday afternoon. I've bought a fan to install, but is it ok to do that now?

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well I personally don't think you need to install a fan to get a good hatch, providing the still air incubator you have is well made (I do think forced air incubators are more efficient though). Since you haven't had a chance to run the bator with the fan prior to hatching and you can't know how it could behave, so I think at this point it might do more harm than good if you start trying stuff out. Once these eggs hatch, you might wanna try and put the fan in and try to get the right temperature and humidity levels, which can be tricky sometimes, especially the first time.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I agree. You don't need a fan to get good hatch rates. If your temp is 101-102 taken near the tops of the eggs, your humidity is right for your eggs and they are being turned at least 3 times a day, there's absolutely no reason why your hatch should be any less than if you had a fan.
    Temps and humidity are the make em or break em of hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by