1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok to feed rabbit food to chickens rrrrr feed store messed up

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dorothy1324, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    ok my ? is can i give the ladies rabbit food i went to the feed store because i was totaly out of food and when i got home (mind you it is 45 min drive) they had put a 50lb bag or rabbit food in my trunk rrrrrrrr well now the feed store is closed and by chickens are hungry so can i give them some of this rabbit food and yell at the feed store tommorow i read the tag and the only difference it looks like is it has a lot more fiber in it

2. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes on a temporary basis. Get some of the usual feed when you are able and mix a little of this rabbit chow with their regular food till it is gone.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Call the manager and explain the situation. You can feed them anything, but if you need food, you need the correct feed- I hate when stores do this, I have had to read and watch our local feed store.:thun Sorry for the rant. Good luck .

4. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Thankyou and i will go get some real chicken food this weekend but still makes me mad i guess from now on i will always read the bags

5. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I feed Purina Layena pellets and will buy a 10# bag of Manna Pro 16% rabbit feed at Wal Mart to mix in with the 50# bag of Layena. I do it for the alfalfa in the rabbit feed. Works for me! [​IMG]

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Ditto - it won't kill them for a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by