Is it ok to ignore mice in run? (Update post #30 problem solved)

if you are using poison of any kind be aware of a secondary poisoning

lil mouse eats poison, gets sluggish and chicken or family pet eats slow dying mouse.. and bingo you have a secondary poisoning.. and possibly a whopping vet bill i know some will disagree but i prefer the water trap or the glue boards or the old fashioned Acme snap traps

Quote:
Ok here I go, I don't have any pic's but it's really simple...............................

Get a 5 gal bucket no lid required and drill 2 small holes opposite each other into the side right near the the top, cut the top and bottom out of a small to med sized can, insert a dowel rod or any smoothe wooden stick into one hole run it through the can and into the other hole. Fill the bucket 1/3 to halfway with water, smear a teaspoon of peanut butter on the can, lean a small board up against the bucket near the rod.

Ok the mouse climbs up the board and along the dowel rod to the bait=can smeared peanut butter and can't hold on because the can will roll and he falls into the water where he does the Michael Phelps till he succumbs and drowns. I have caught a bunch every night until they are all gone, and just rig it up every now and then more in the winter when they seek shelter in the coops. It really works great and trouble free with no poisons.

AL

Quote:
Read the press on the recent egg recalls. Vermin are a no-no! Secure your feed. Make your coop and run unattractive to mice & rats.

Thank you so much for all the information!!!!

I hadn't been keeping up with the news and didn't know the cause of the egg recall.

I will have to try to get rid of them, then. The hawk netting above makes it a perfect place for them to live.

I like the bucket idea too!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Thank you, Al for your wonderful bucket idea. I'll be using it for sure. In the past, I have just left buckets where the chickens couldn't get at them with about 5" of water in them to catch mice.

I do everything I can to keep rodents out of the coop. I do a very thorough cleaning in the spring and fall and look for places that they may be nesting. I mix up some fresh concrete and pour it in. Eventually, everything will be concrete!
big_smile.png
Also, as we make repairs, we use concrete. If I could start from scratch and had the money, I'd make a whole coop out of concrete.

Back
Top Bottom