Is it ok to ignore mice in run? (Update post #30 problem solved)

Quote:
Ok here I go, I don't have any pic's but it's really simple...............................

Get a 5 gal bucket no lid required and drill 2 small holes opposite each other into the side right near the the top, cut the top and bottom out of a small to med sized can, insert a dowel rod or any smoothe wooden stick into one hole run it through the can and into the other hole. Fill the bucket 1/3 to halfway with water, smear a teaspoon of peanut butter on the can, lean a small board up against the bucket near the rod.

Ok the mouse climbs up the board and along the dowel rod to the bait=can smeared peanut butter and can't hold on because the can will roll and he falls into the water where he does the Michael Phelps till he succumbs and drowns. I have caught a bunch every night until they are all gone, and just rig it up every now and then more in the winter when they seek shelter in the coops. It really works great and trouble free with no poisons.

AL

Great idea!

However would it work for sewer rats? Or would I need to get a bigger bucket? Those are the problematic pests I have in the fall, winter and early spring months. Poison baits can only go so far but many times they would bypass the poison and dig under the coop to get into the run, therefore, a buffet dinner.

If you get them in the coop you can use a battery operated mouse trap. The mouse goes in and gets "zapped". They are really easy to use and work really well. You can get them at any hardware store. I have used them in the past around my feed since I don't want any poisons around my animals. One set of four double A batteries will kill 50 mice according to the package.

I have had mouse and rat issues in the past. I made chicken, children (grandkids)and pet safe and fairly weather proof bait bar stations. I used 3" diameter plastic pipe about 3-4' long. Drilled a 3/16" hole in pipe about half way that I could pass a piece of 3' copper wire I had laying around. Then threaded the wire into the hole and attached wire to the bait bar. Pull wire back and wrap it around the pipe securing the bait in the middle of the pipe out of reach. Then place along building edge or under building bait side down. I leave a baited one under chicken house at all times and have not had to fight rodent problems again. I check it from time to time and refresh bait as needed which is seldom.

Quote:
This is what I use as well. I bought peppermint oil, soaked cotton balls with it and placed in various crevices. In the past I've also bought Mouse Magic by Bonide, an all natural mouse repellent that consists of packets of peppermint and spearmint leaves. The packets can be placed wherever you don't want mice. I like these choices because there are no risks of unintended victims and because personally, I would rather not kill anything if I don't have to.

Seems to work. The occasional critter is around but it doesn't get to the point of concern.

I also take up all feed at night and keep feed stored in metal containers with weights on top.

JJ

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't buy eggs, I have chickens that lay them for me. Thats why I keep them fed. lol The bucket thing is great. We're gonna do it also. Maybe bring it inside a few nights. We have some stealing the dog food and taking it into the drawer under the cook stove. LIttle @#%#%^#$#%. The drawer I normally keep my kitchen towles in has been taken over with mouse poop. So my towels are on the table. We have a cat but she seems to have forgotten how to hunt. They get lazy when you feed them. lol We have buckets and cans and a whole pile of limbs we can get our " dowel rod" from. We be making mouse traps tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
What's wrong with my chickens? They just like to watch the mice eat their food!
barnie.gif
Is it because they are bantams or because they D'Uccles and Silkies or are they just weird?

Quote:
What's wrong with my chickens? They just like to watch the mice eat their food!
barnie.gif
Is it because they are bantams or because they D'Uccles and Silkies or are they just weird?

My chickens will eat a mouse WHOLE (but it takes them about 5 minutes per mouse).

But I have seen them just watching the mice run around and not chasing them. Not unusual.

I did find that my solution that worked was the Ketch-all repeating mousetrap. Then I drown them in a 5 gal. bucket. Sometimes I catch 6 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom