Is it ok to keep a single duck raised with a flock?

mynameisjustjen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
North Georgia
I have been raising a flock of Mallards for last few months and they have all migrated except for a single female. She has never made the loud loney call till recent events and before was fairly quiet. We bring her in at night and no longer let her graze during day, instead pin her in her coup. I try to sit with her as often as I can but obviously will be impossible all the time. Is it cruel to leave her alone? We ordered a diaper and hope having her inside with us often will be one solution. I think getting a companion duck would be better option but don't know if needed. Please community, help ease my mind that she is ok in a protected enclosure all alone sometimes, and can adapt to being indoors with us most of the time.

She can certainly adapt to being indoors but I would still consider giving her another companion. Ducks can enjoy the presence of humans but in my opinion they still prefer their own kind.

Tough one. Ducks are flock animals, and she needs a flock. I feel that ducks raised by humans are not well suited for living on their own.

So at this point, keeping her inside is a possibility, if a person can be around all the time. Otherwise another duck friend would be good.

Ducks seem to be able to live well indoors (and there are those who vigorously disagree with me on this). But they need special accommodations.

Thank you for the replies. She is adjusting to being inside so far. When we aren't around she is safe in her coup outside. I did notice she will only eat and graze if we are out there with her I believe.

Back
Top Bottom