is it ok to let a peacock free range

brahmakid11

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
sitting on the toilet
hi i have a peacock that is almost a foot tall and i am wondering if i can let it free range i have one acre of pasture for it to free range if it is ok i would really like to here your
suggestions please tell me what you think pm me or post on here

Free ranging is a cost effective method of providing feed to any flock however it does come with risk. The birds are always vulnerable to predation. It's a calculated risk you take and by birds are happy but I have lost a few to hawks and have had a few problems with coyotes. I figure that I just may lose a chicken from time to time but we're talking about a $5 bird. I don't know that I would want to risk an expensive bird like a peacock.

After getting my peas last fall, I let them out this summer to free range on about 80 acres, & they probably only range on about 7 of those, that I know of. I do have alot of big cottonwood trees around the yard & they roost in one of those at night. I got up one morning & missed seeing them out & about. They went missing until about 2 in the afternoon - so I dont know where they went because I searched every where near the yard. I dont have a fence to keep dogs or coyotes away, but I do have 2 mtn cur dogs to help protect our birds (+chickens). Do you only have 1 bird? The peas & chickens are very sociable and may feel very vulnerable without others of their kind to hang out with. You might want to try to find another buddy before letting him free range alone. Peas have been known to flee their home range to search for others of their kind....
There is a risk of predators, & I havent let my 3 older chicks out to free range yet. I will give them more time to gain some more size to them before letting them out, maybe another couple of months at least.
Good luck with what you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom