Is it ok to spank our roo?

A light and very quick cuff across the head when he bites should suffice. Not a slap, mind you...a cuff. It surprises more than it hurts and doesn't knock the bird around, just reminds him that the behavior brings an undesirable response. Worked for my roo and it didn't have to be repeated. Biting is not like flogging or threatening behavior, it is a quick response to defend a hen or himself. It rarely has anything to do with hormones....a hen will bite sometimes if you reach for an egg or chick.

Quote:
I really like this ! Sounds like fun to me ! Have a couple of drinks , put on some heavy clothes and chase him around till he cant take anymore !!
lau.gif

Quote:
Since when is kicking an animal not abuse? Does that mean it's ok if I give my dog a boot too to show him I am alpha?
hmm.png

if ur dog bit u i would say yes

Quote:
This is good advice.

Violence against your animal is unlikely to achieve anything you want. If the rooster is young enough to learn, then you should haze him. Speed walk after him for five or ten minutes at first. Later on, a lot less is needed. Think about how you would feel if a black SUV followed you everywhere as you tried to evade it. You want to instill that worry into the rooster. Make him Beta while you (Alpha) are around. You can read more at my Handling Rooster Aggression page.

Well, let me tell ya... my Rico suddenly flipped out not too long ago and started attacking me. He flogged my legs, came at me several times, and this was NEW behavior.

We figured out, it's summertime now & I'm outside in skirts and shorts a lot, and Rico is scared of my lilly-white flabby old lady legs. LOL! He never tries to mess with me when I'm wearing pants. One day in particular, he started pecking at some of the younger cockerels, as well, and was rough with one of them & hurt him to the point where we had to put the young cockerel down. It was really sad.

Anyway, we thought we were gonna have to get rid of Rico, but I did what a previous poster said... I picked him up, chilled him out, stuck him under my arm, and walked around with him being held. I have to do it once or twice a week, but he doesn't mess with me OR any of the other chickens anymore. He acted like he was gonna come after my legs this morning, but I reminded him it's no fun to be stuck under MY arm when he's trying do his morning chase-and-mate with his hens. It chills him out quickly, and he does not get hurt. He knows I'm the boss & now he's very contrite and submits to me in the yard. It'll be that way until I scare him with my white legs again. LOL!

Last edited:
Quote:
Since when is kicking an animal not abuse? Does that mean it's ok if I give my dog a boot too to show him I am alpha?
hmm.png

if ur dog bit u i would say yes

If my dog bit me, he'd be history. And it would mean I had failed at being a dog owner and trainer.

I will try to rehab a cockeral if they develop an attitude and are young enough to learn. Mostly by going about my business and ignoring them. If they start biting or flogging, drawing blood? They're out of here. Hitting, kicking and "spanking"? Works about as well as doing the same to any other living creature. As in, NOT. It usually just makes the animal sneakier and meaner.

It usually just makes the animal sneakier and meaner.

I'm curious to know if this conclusion was from personal experience?
wink.png
I've never actually beat an animal but have never found one to get meaner or sneakier if disciplined lightly at the appropriate time as a negative reinforcement. I guess it all depends on what animal you start with...if you already had a mean and sneaky animal and are trying to reform it, then I would say the above quote could be correct. If you have an otherwise normal animal that is displaying occasional undesirable behaviors, then I can tell you it worked on mine and didn't have to be repeated. The real question is: Why would anyone have or keep a mean or sneaky animal on their property in the first place?​

i already spank him, only of he's really bad though, and on a scale of one to ten on the chicken cruelty radar, it'd be a three, so i don't hurt him that bad.

I would never smack a chicken. even if it did peck me and draw blood. the method of a eye for an eye does not work. it just enhance's rivalry. just poke him back or put him in solitary confinement if you like. just separate him for his flock until he calms down.

Back
Top Bottom