Is it ok to spank our roo?

one of my roos has a mean streak too. i use a flyswater. after a few sparing matches(i won) he got the point. now we go our separate ways, but he will still test me from time to time. i'm good with the swater!!

It is the craziest thing.
He attacked the one that does the most for him.
He gives him grass and lets him out to roam.
I guess he does not do that to me because
I am the one who brings them treats.
They are really loving the frozen watermelon.
Thank you all so much. I am glad to know I am not alone.

Umm...I really doubt that's going to do anything, lol. I also don't believe that getting physically aggressive does anything. Roosters are animals. It's in their nature. That doesn't mean that it's a 'good' thing, but that's how some roosters will handle a threat to themselves or their harem. We can end up doing alot more damage to a rooster than they can to us if we are not careful. An adult human is stronger.

That being said, in the past, I have tried everything, and I mean everything, to stop my mean roosters. The only thing that has successfully worked was getting rid of them. I'm not proud of some of my attempts, and the last time was when I kicked my roo and he hit a tree. Possibly handicapping him for life would not have measured up to his violence in my eyes. And ya know what? The next day, he went after me again. It doesn't work. Roosters have it in them to show no fear and to fight back.

Roosters also tend to be more fond of attacking the human who does the most for them, the one who is more attatched and who they think they can 'get away with it' with. Alot of the most aggressive roosters are the ones that were babied as chicks.

Some non-physical rooster reform works on certain boys.

NO!!!! Think like a roo. He thinks he's alpha-roo. You need to speak his language to show him he's not. Kicking, etc, is just challenging him, He will come back.
Stalk him. Put on some heavy clothes and keep walking AT him, keep him moving till he turns around and runs. Do this every time you go out.
I have reformed many, except for one, a Mille Fleur D'Uccle roo. The rest were bigger roos.
Never back away, when he comes at you, come at him,
Also, when you put out a treat, keep him away until he gives up by keeping him walking away from you.
That is rooster speak for "I myself am alpha roo, not you".

Last edited:
How old is this rooster? If a youngster, before mating age, you can probably change biting behavior by grabbing him up and holding his beak shut for a few seconds at that exact moment. If he's mating the girls, his hormones have kicked in and he may be human aggressive. Hitting and kicking is just fighting him, not discipline anyway. He'll just become sneakier if you do that.
roll.png

I have a 7 week old EE I believe is a roo and he is aggressive in my book-but NOT the largest chicken out 5. I think its funny that the largest chicken and I both seem to be putting him in his place by standing up to him-walking towards him when he darts close and tries to peck...I grab him up quick and hold him close, putting my hand over his body, and never letting him on my shoulders-which happens often with the others when I sit down, walking around with him like that every day. I also nicely push him back away from the treats until the others get it first. I don't see much difference in him darting around monitoring what everyone's doing -chickens and humans, but I have seen him not pecking as much. Maybe that will subside and he'll go back to being aggressive. I also have a 14 year old son who has always been mild, and he's been learning how to push the limits, so I just figure the two are hormonally challenged...and maybe it'll level out...I hope
hide.gif

~~~To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did~~~

Wow......I had to laugh. I pictured myself in this scenario with my teenage son. We call it Battle Of The Wills!! Makes sense though.
smile.png

Quote:

Quote:
Since when is kicking an animal not abuse? Does that mean it's ok if I give my dog a boot too to show him I am alpha?
hmm.png

I use the hugging method, rather than the spanking method. Only on the poultry I mean. They really hate being held. Its a matter of showing who is the dominant. I will catch them and hold their head to the ground until they stop fighting. Then I hold them( hug) very firmly in my arms. I am calm and I try to make them relax if possible but I don't stop until they have it figured out that I am the only boss their is. The kids and the hubby know. I think the poultry should too. With geese I don't hug I just hold them down until they give up. Any that cannot be taught end up becoming dinner.

Back
Top Bottom