Is it ok to spank our roo?

All this talk is making me hungry. Is KFC open yet?
lol.png

A word of caution. If you have children, you should not have an aggressive roo unless he is firmly locked up. We had one that was just a touch defensive. Every once in a while he would challenge me but nothing too overt. One day the light bulb apparently went off in his head because he went from a bit defensive to aggressive maniac. Nothing had happened other than he lost 2 girls to dogs but he then became aggressive with us. He attacked my dad who did not say anything about it. He then attacked my husband who used my holding method to calm him down and show him who was bigger. We turn our back and he is over the fence, chasing the 8 and 3 year old down. He managed to draw blood on the 8 year old and knock the 3 year old down and get on him before we could get to him. Thankfully a bruise and a little hole in her leg was all the 8 year old had and the 3 year old had just minor scratches. He was dispatched immediately after that. ( and no they were not and are not allowed to torment any of them so that was not the cause) Any others that have truly gotten aggressive have gone the same way. If it can't be corrected early then its better to just get a fresh roo than to risk the kids because they will target them.

My former alpha was aggressive towards us and now he is low guy due to a chicken coup (coo) (not a chicken coop but a coup like when a dictatorship is formed - pun intended) Anyway, I made it a point to wear cowboy boots in the run so that his attacks would not hurt and I could stand there switching from one foot to the other letting him attack until he got tired and I would pick him up and carry him around the run. Now that he is OMEGA he still tries the threaten us but the other roos keep him in check and none of them are aggressive towards us. If that changes, however, I can give out tickets to freezer camp anytime!
roll.png
and cook em with a lot of wine!!
wink.png

Caroline

Some of these posts are making me laugh. It's great to read the posts by the "thinkers" out there.
I'm a stalker, but I'll have to try the under the arm thing too.
And I'm happy to say that most of my reformed roos have become very good roos. One turned into a snuggler (silkie), when he died it broke my heart.

M.sue :

Wow......I had to laugh. I pictured myself in this scenario with my teenage son. We call it Battle Of The Wills!! Makes sense though.
smile.png

Quote:

Sue, good luck with the roo.........and your son, LOL​

Quote:
I really like this ! Sounds like fun to me ! Have a couple of drinks , put on some heavy clothes and chase him around till he cant take anymore !!
lau.gif

Hey, never thought of having a good drink while doing it!

I have always been told the way to deal with an aggressive Rooster is to try to catch him (more easier said then done I know) hold him by his feet upside down until he calms down then tuck him securely under your arm and carry him around for a while as you do your business around the coop or whatnot. It's supposed to reassert your dominance so he'll chill out more or something along that line. This may be time consuming and be a little more effort on your part but if you want to try to calm him down I'd try this method before "spanking". Animals don't respond well when being threatened physically. If all fails some Roosters are just generally feisty and there won't be anything to change that. Good luck!
fl.gif

There is a post somewhere about a daughter having a rooster that started that stuff. Then one day the girl stormed into the house, got a dishpan and some soap, and give the rooster a bubble bath. It was hilarious! She was embarassing him with a girly bubble bath in front of his hens hehe. I believe it worked, too.

Back
Top Bottom