Is it ok to spank our roo?

I have read many posts regarding getting along with a roo. In my limited experience I can only say GET RID OF HIM!!!
The reason he is attacking your husband is because he is not afraid of your husband. By spending more time with him and giving him lots of attention, he (the roo) has learned that your husband IS NOT a threat and his instincts kick in and tell him that your husband IS A THREAT to his (the roo's) dominate role.
Notice how he will hover over a tasty snack and allow the hens to come snatch it away? He is telling the hen that HE has delivered this tasty morsel. Your husband needs to take out some tasty treats and put it on the ground then grab the roo and hold him while your husband calls the hens.
We had a beautiful roo who could not be broke or trusted, we finally found him a home at a farm. We are much happier without him.
wink.png

Quote:
I'm curious to know if this conclusion was from personal experience?
wink.png
I've never actually beat an animal but have never found one to get meaner or sneakier if disciplined lightly at the appropriate time as a negative reinforcement.

I honestly think it's a different situation for every animal but after owning quite a few aggressive roos (I just seemed to always have bad luck with them?) even the small flick or shove will totally set them off. Its like...

Rooster: *flog* I'm the boss!
Human: *shove* No, I'm the boss.
Rooster: Did you seriously just do that?! *flog again* Umm I know you did not just push me.
smack.gif

Sometimes I swear I could almost see the look of shock on their faces when I made a move. But it would always be replaced with a look of retaliation. That's just my experience...and I always find that it makes them more irritated and yes, sneaky. Hence why this no longer works for me.

Quote:
Also agree. And why would they be kept? I only have one mean roo now. He protects my hens. I remove him when he gets on my nerves.

All of your posts are so helpful.
Please know we would never ever spank hard.
If we ever spanked at all.
I pick them all up and hold them under my arm.
Maybe this is why he does not mess with me.
We love our boy Big Rick and If he keeps this up,
we may have to call in the Roo whisperer.
barnie.gif

When mine started trying to dominate me, I grabbed their neck feathers and shook them like they do to each other. I then ripped a few feathers out for good measure. Just don't rip their skin. It keeps them in line.
idunno.gif

I really do not like picking up and holding the rooster. I am allergic to chickens and if he gets a lucky swing while I am catching him I could get hurt.

Much simpler for me to just speed walk after him to intimidate. It really only takes a few seconds a day once he is used to it. And there is no physical contact to give me sniffles.

I am reading through this and recalling the rooster pecking order that has gone on here this summer. We don't generally interfere with them as they sort out their differences. In this cast of characters, Arcauna Barney was # 1 and while not friendly, definitely not aggressive. Orp Oliver grew up under Barney and of course was #2 also not aggressive. Now, FBCM Blue grew up in the rooster pen and was always separated from those two although only by a fence. Blue was given 3 girls this spring in a breeding pen and has been aggressive when my back is turned. I don't turn my back on him.
Blue and Barney sparred through the fence all spring. Minimal blood but the fence is there. We don't free range them at the same time because we don't know what will happen and would rather not find out.
Barney and Oliver have 17 girls to look after and have split themselves into breed groups more or less. With that many free ranging there is enough to do to keep both boys alert and they have dealt with fox already with good results. I'd love to keep all three roos at status quo.
But then Barney spent an entire day chasing Oliver around the house. Fast. Comically.
Things went back to normal and we thought: OK, they settled it.
Weeks later we find Oliver sparring Blue through the fence. Minimal blood. John yells "Knock it off" John has booming voice and doesn't yell much. It seems to work for him. And they're his chickens.
Suddenly we have Oliver chasing Barney around.???? What happened? Barney is no longer #1 and spends days wandering around looking lost and forlorn. No blood and guts. No commotion.
Oliver is #1 now and we haven't a clue how.
Did the scuffle through the fence change flock dynamics? How much goes on in the baawk baawk world of the chicken?
I just hope Oliver realizes he needs help in corralling 17 hens and 2 broods of babies. Barney hangs around like a gentleman now and keeps order where he is needed around the edges. And we still aren't willing to let Blue out at the same time.

So what I read is show the bird your top roo & let him bite you & walk him around. HUH!!! When I first got my cockerel then he pecked at me I hit him back. To me that's showing him who's boss. Then once when he was still a cock he got all cocky with me I hit him with my hat again showing him who's boss. The last time he tried something again I kicked him he was on the run so it wasn't full on kick but at the time I wish it had of been a full on kick. Any way he's now a roo & believe me he learned his lesson. I for sure never back down from him never have & never will. He gets weird I tell him come on you big feathered never mind. Maybe, yall see it as cruel I don't. Guess I'm old school. I was brought up with parents that would spank you for doing wrong & I usually learned my lesson the first time.

We have a Barred Rock roo, who is a year old his coming week. As a chick he was fine, but since the girls startedlaying he has become mean. And when I say mean, to the point he will charge as I approach the coop and run. I have tried befriending him, offer treats etc, bowling him over the run and making him realise he is not the boss, all to no avail. DW will not go in there now.

Sadly to say, today will be his last day, as we have finally decided to cull him. Our girls will be lots happier I am sure, but we will see..... Am not happy doing it, but do we get flailed by him each time or what.....

The moral of this is aggression = cull.

Quote:
That's how I handle a nasty one.. if he doesn't get the idea that he should behave and be a good boy he ends up being named "Dinner" and I send him to Freezer Camp

My husband doesn't bother to take the diplomatic approach .. he is usually wearing army boots and will send the offending rooster flying. I hate to admit it.. but once he sends one airborne they never come back to attack him again.

Back
Top Bottom