Is it ok to spank our roo?

I kept chickens for the joy and serenity of watching them do their thing on the green, green grass and of course, for the food. But the peace of their quiet and gentle life living next to mine was always a plus...I can't imagine having a chicken that attacks you every time your back is turned! How nerve wracking to walk out in your back yard and have guerilla warfare being launched against you.

I'd say, if you couldn't raise them to be just roosters or correct their behaviors if they should arise, then the joy of having chickens would be somewhat ruined. No way would I have any animal on my place that was rough with me or another animal, no price worth that. Cull, cull, cull.

Quote:
I'm the type of person that sits out with the chickens almost every day with a cup of coffee. I'm on my 2nd flock roo. My roos will throw themselves at any danger and get killed to save the hens. My roos call the girls for treats, and don't eat till they're done, he will take food and drop it. He circles the coop at night to make sure everyone's in before he goes to bed. If a hen is outside, you can see he gets really disturbed. He calls them when there's danger. He bok-bawks when a hen is laying to cheer her on. He's been caught warming the nest for hens and enticing them to get in the nest. My first roo jumped the fence to "kill" our dog, and he died trying. While my hens waited about a year for me to hatch and grow another roo, 2 hens started mounting the others.

The roo that died had a brother, but it was okay since the bro didn't challange him-except behind his back. (there was always something not right about the bro, and the hens all knew it and protected him) One time bro (Polish) jumped on a Jersey Giant hen, and she tossed him 3 feet away! He was an odd thing and I don't think a day went by that me and DH didn't talk about him. When he died, I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for quite a while. I think he developed brain damage and died.

As for the noise, I've always thought about how lucky I am to hear a rooster crow. I'm sure many people are not as privileged.

Quote:
I'm the type of person that sits out with the chickens almost every day with a cup of coffee. I'm on my 2nd flock roo. My roos will throw themselves at any danger and get killed to save the hens. My roos call the girls for treats, and don't eat till they're done, he will take food and drop it. He circles the coop at night to make sure everyone's in before he goes to bed. If a hen is outside, you can see he gets really disturbed. He calls them when there's danger. He bok-bawks when a hen is laying to cheer her on. He's been caught warming the nest for hens and enticing them to get in the nest. My first roo jumped the fence to "kill" our dog, and he died trying. While my hens waited about a year for me to hatch and grow another roo, 2 hens started mounting the others.

The roo that died had a brother, but it was okay since the bro didn't challange him-except behind his back. (there was always something not right about the bro, and the hens all knew it and protected him) One time bro (Polish) jumped on a Jersey Giant hen, and she tossed him 3 feet away! He was an odd thing and I don't think a day went by that me and DH didn't talk about him. When he died, I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for quite a while. I think he developed brain damage and died.

As for the noise, I've always thought about how lucky I am to hear a rooster crow. I'm sure many people are not as privileged.

Beautifully said! I enjoy watching our Roo take care of his girls & standing guard. My DH knows how I feel about our Rocky which is why he will never see the cone
tongue2.gif
the spray bottle is the only thing that works for this little "jerk" as BMC calls
him actually he calls him worse
lau.gif
IRL we also didn't raise him so I wanna cut him some slack. He's too hard for me to catch otherwise I would have tried the hugging & carrying around method. Now I just go armed with a squirt bottle & talk to him reminding him to behave
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes it was nice I get to keep my boy
ya.gif
I like your chasing around approach that takes guts! I imagine you would have to keep at it daily. Lovely pic btw :)

Quote:

And sings the egg song with the hens.

Well said! There is nothing better than a great rooster.

I would use the hose. Set him up and then give him a cold shower. I am using it to train the pullets to stay out of my onions. Why is it that out of all the things I have planted. Everything wants to tear up the onions?

Quote:
I had to chickle at this one! You can whack him but don't spank him!!!
lau.gif

I read a post by someone who had trouble with a roo who, after two more dominant roos were taken away, began flogging people. So, they carried a broom and when he tried to flog anyone they would give him a swa with the broom. I think that is pretty harmless, and it worked. I am sure there will be those who will say it won't work. Well, if it doesn't work then give him a soak in the stew pot!

Quote:
I had to chickle at this one! You can whack him but don't spank him!!!
lau.gif

I read a post by someone who had trouble with a roo who, after two more dominant roos were taken away, began flogging people. So, they carried a broom and when he tried to flog anyone they would give him a swa with the broom. I think that is pretty harmless, and it worked. I am sure there will be those who will say it won't work. Well, if it doesn't work then give him a soak in the stew pot!

Hey Highlander they let you have chicks in the Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts?
lau.gif
. Hahaha.

Sorry... I had to. I lived most of my life there and couldn't imagine the hoops that I would be forced to jump through to have my mini-farm. My sister still lives in Beverly and has to get written permission from ALL of her neighbors just to get hens! AND she can't have a roo and has to keep the coup something like 50 feet from any property lines! RIDICULOUS!!! My mother is in Peabody and can have hens only but no roo.

What's it like in Chickopee?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom