Is it okay for my chicks to go into a coop?

My3ChicksMBD

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013
Hello! I have three chicks. Two of my chicks are a bit small but my other chick is big. My mom wants to make a coop and move them outside. They are small little chickens and I'm wondering if it's safe enough for them to go out of the garage at the age they are??? They smell and my mom wants them outside in a coop. I'm not sure if my two small birds are ready yet but my big one might be. Yet, my big one makes noise when he's away from the other ones. Does it matter if they go outside? Can I put them outside in a coop at their age? They are a few weeks old and I think that my smaller two might be bantams. They are pretty small. Thanks so much!!! ~My3ChicksMBD

Last edited:
If they aren't under a heat lamp now, then it won't really be any different in the coop for them. But if you are moving them to a coop from a garage, that's a much smaller space, if they have the run of the garage. Does your coop have a run? Is it secure against predators?

If they aren't under a heat lamp now, then it won't really be any different in the coop for them.  But if you are moving them to a coop from a garage, that's a much smaller space, if they have the run of the garage.  Does your coop have a run?  Is it secure against predators?
We have them in a small tub outside in the garage. They aren't running around so outside in a coop would be bigger. And we would have a door on their coop so we can get in and predators like dogs, raccoons or coyotes shouldn't be able to get them. Also, I think that the size of the coop is going to be 8 feet by 5 feet. I'm not exactly sure but that's the last thing I heard about the size I think. :)

Last edited:
That's certainly a generous size coop. But they do need sunshine and love to scratch and peck on dirt, so they really need an outside space as well.

At any rate, they should be fine, actually better off, in the coop.

That's certainly a generous size coop.  But they do need sunshine and love to scratch and peck on dirt, so they really need an outside space as well.

At any rate, they should be fine, actually better off, in the coop.
Thank you so much!!! Hopefully, we can put like, some screened stuff on the top of part of it and maybe one side and that'll be good. And it's a good size coop? Thank you :) ~My3ChicksMBD

Back
Top Bottom