1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it okay to feed lettuce?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by equine chick, Apr 25, 2007.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I gave my chicks some lettuce and they love it. Would they need grit, if i want to give them this trear. I've read somewhere here about some chicks getting worms from the ground without grit and became sick. I only thought about it after i gave it to them, they are on chickstarter free choice.

2. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    I was wondering what they would need to have grit with, too. I want to start trying snacks out on the chikies reaaal soon, but all I have is the Dumor Starter/Grower.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    If chicks are only being fed starter they will not need grit, but if anything else is given to them they need it to break it up in their gizzard. I always offer grit to chicks. Its cheap and easy to find. Go to your local walmart or grocery store and look in the pet section. The type of grit they sell for caged pet birds works great and its only a buck or two.

Lettuce is ok to feed to chicks but make sure you offer it in small pieces so they won't choke. Avoid iceberg lettuce, it has no nutritional value. I don't think any problems can arise from feeding it but its less palatable to chickens. Offer romaine or other darker leaf lettuce, they'll like it better and it has more nutrients.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I give them romaine lettuce will get some grit tomorrow.

5. mudlake

mudlake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    I feed them lettuce in the summer when it gets hot. Tony

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Mine refuse lettuce, buit they do love other greens.

7. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I gave mine some parsley from my herb garden the other day. They really liked it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by