Is it okay to feed them Oxalis?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by l'abeille, Nov 16, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Our new chickens seem to love Oxalis, otherwise known as sorrel. You know, the rampant weed that looks like shamrocks and makes brilliant yellow flowers in winter here in the Bay Area. It is very sour tasting and probably high in oxalic acid. Any reason it would be bad for chickens to eat that?

Is there a list of poisonous (to chickens) weeds and ornamental plants on the web anywhere?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Oxalis is named because of the level of oxalic acid. It's not exactly toxic but too much oxalic acid starts to do interesting things in the body including blocking calcium absorption. It also makes calcium and oxalate stones in the kidneys and bladder of at least mammals. A little is fine. A lot can be bad for some animals. Some are more resistent to the effects than others. I'm not sure how sensitive birds are to it.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  5. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    thanks everyone for all the helpful info. looks like oxalis will be an infrequent treat for our flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by