Is it okay to sell a duckling to a family without any other poultry?

PoultryAndPets

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
I heard somewhere that it is unhealthy to only buy one duck, as it would suffer from loneliness. This might've been a marketing scam, but when I first bought my two ducks, they were completely inseparable, and still are. Now that I have 10 ducklings of my own, I'm trying to make sure the advice I give to sellers is truthful.

Also, does the companion have to be a duck, or could it be a human, or chicken instead?

I heard somewhere that it is unhealthy to only buy one duck, as it would suffer from loneliness. This might've been a marketing scam, but when I first bought my two ducks, they were completely inseparable, and still are. Now that I have 10 ducklings of my own, I'm trying to make sure the advice I give to sellers is truthful.

Also, does the companion have to be a duck, or could it be a human, or chicken instead?
It's not a marketing scam.
Poultry are generally flock animals and should never be kept as solitary animals. Some will say it's acceptable to be a lone animal as a human companion but it is not.
The only time it would be appropriate to sell a single duckling is if somebody had a hen attempt to hatch eggs and only one of them hatched or most of the ducklings died and they're looking for a companion duckling for a survivor.

As another stated it's not a marketing scam. they are flock animals and thrive when in a group or at least a pair and no another animal does not make up for a lack of their own kind. Imagine being unable to speak another language and being forced to live with others who you cannot really communicate with, I imagine a life like that would suck.

Decent sellers already know this so I assume you mean buyers who might not understand this. If you do mean sellers then do not buy from them if you mean buyers I would think twice about selling them anything as they might not be able to take care of them i.e have not really researched owning one and what it entails.

However I am curious why you would think it's a marketing scam yet you can clearly see with your own two it is not with how bonded they are.

As another stated it's not a marketing scam. they are flock animals and thrive when in a group or at least a pair and no another animal does not make up for a lack of their own kind. Imagine being unable to speak another language and being forced to live with others who you cannot really communicate with, I imagine a life like that would suck.

Decent sellers already know this so I assume you mean buyers who might not understand this. If you do mean sellers then do not buy from them if you mean buyers I would think twice about selling them anything as they might not be able to take care of them i.e have not really researched owning one and what it entails.

However I am curious why you would think it's a marketing scam yet you can clearly see with your own two it is not with how bonded they are.
The person I bought my ducks from, (the ducks) weren't really in amazing condition - It wasn't that they were moulting, but they didn't look the same as the last time I had ducklings, so I didn't really know whether I could trust the seller. That's kind of why I thought the advice could have been a lie. Also, I have had other ducks in the past, and they had to be separated from each other as they were harming the other duck.
Thank you for your help :)

It's not a marketing scam.
Poultry are generally flock animals and should never be kept as solitary animals. Some will say it's acceptable to be a lone animal as a human companion but it is not.
The only time it would be appropriate to sell a single duckling is if somebody had a hen attempt to hatch eggs and only one of them hatched or most of the ducklings died and they're looking for a companion duckling for a survivor.
Thank you for this, it's great to hear.

Dear poultrying Pets As long as they aren't completely alone with no one they'll be fine I had two ducklings at first along with a bunch of the chickens the other duckling died but she just walks around with my chickens

Back
Top Bottom