Is it possible for a goose to lay this late in year??

mommyofthree

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
We got some Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse a few weeks ago, the pair is about 8 years old. Yesterday I got what I thought was just a jumbo duck egg in the coop. Today there was another really big egg, and when I took it the female goose started hissing and was chasing me. Is it possible for them to lay this late in the year?? Or did I just get 2 jumbo duck eggs 2 days in a row and catch the female goose on a grumpy day?
tongue.png

Hi

It is unusual though possible. Laying being normally triggered by increasing day length. I think if you keep a close eye on the goose you may catch her laying. Usually there's a 40 hour gap between eggs sometimes a little longer.

It may be that their management and diet has improved since you got them and this has 'tripped' them into breeding condition
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

I found a really big egg this morning in the coop this morning too. I am new to geese this year, but it seemed much larger than even the pekins eggs. Has to be an emden, if it is. My sebbies are all this springs hatches. Emdens range from 3 to 5 years. Maybe they liked the rain, we do live in the Susquehanna valley in NY!!!

My Spring babies have all started mating and my girlfriend in NC has 2 week old Sebbie babies. I haven't seen any of my 1 or 2 year olds mating but this Springs babies have been. I had to yell at them at 3am the other morning because they woke me up with all their noise.

It was my understanding that they are seasonal layers (late winter-early spring) so now I'm confused.
Well, apparently my African Dewlap Geese have produced at least 5 eggs (that I can see) is it too late to let them hatch?
It looks like she isn't sitting yet but adding to the clutch. This pair raised 20 goslings this past spring on their own.
We have moderately cold winters here with temps getting down to 0F for brief periods mostly hovering around 14F to 23F.
Being new to geese I just hope they know what they're doing
hu.gif

Hi

They are usually seasonal layers but odd pairs will break the rules and Chinese are more prolific layers than some other breeds.

With your Africans I would just let nature take its course and having a clutch may stop your goose laying too many before the worst weather sets in. If any hatch then they may need a period of rearing in an outbuilding as the goslings will struggle to make a good size if left outdoors. However Im unsure if you have a mild climate.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

I was just about to post the same question! My Geese just laid their first egg a few minutes ago. I believe it's my 2.5 year old tolouse.

e7acd6f4.jpg

She chose to make a nest in a pretty open, busy location. I wonder if I can sit the dog house in the same spot, with the egg in it, and convince her not to be terrified?

I'm just thinking back to spring when I impatiently searched every day, hoping for a goose egg, and now they choose to lay in the fall???

My ganders have started fighting in the past week (Embdens), which is unusual for this time of year. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if I found a goose egg, well at least an Embden goose egg since the Chinese just started laying a few weeks ago.

Sold five trouble-making Toulouse (two males, three females) the other week and immediately our Embden gander mated the two remaining Toulouse females. His Embden mate is too young to breed, won't see anything from her till next year. Anyway, the Toulouse have laid 12 eggs between them since 31st August. I'm a novice with geese but I gather they lay the clutch and then incubate - is this right? Secondly, the male stands guard, yes? They've laid in two separate places: one in their sleeping quarters, the other in the woodshed.
So, will the male have a problem standing watch in two different locations? And will they incubate this late in the year? Advice, answers appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom