Is it possible that 8 week olds will never accept a new addition?

Hi, It's Jennifer. Sorry to hear it is taking time for everyone to get used to him. When I introduced a couple of silkies to my standard flock I seperated them during the day, but made it so everyone could see each other. then, at night I put the 2 girls in a cat cage and had them sleep in with the big girls. I did this for about 3 weeks. I finally put them in at night with out the cat cage and they did go after the little ones the next day! It took a couple of weeks for it to get bettter. I made sure there was a spot in the coop for the little ones to hide if they needed to, where the big chicks could not get at them. It will work out eventually.

Hi Jennifer, I'll do what's necessary and wait as long as it takes. Im going to take cajunlizz's suggestions and not do the in and out thing either. He stays in the same coop with girls but in a seperate pen and during the day I keep him seperated. Next time I try putting them together will be in a week or so and I'll do it where there's plenty of room for him to get away if need be.
He's adorable and is getting used to me handling him, everyone who meets him loves him!! (except the girls)

Thanks for letting us have him, we just need to get him through this adjustment with the girls.

Quote:
My husband and I were discussing your problem , he was asking WHY do you want to MIX a Silkie rooster with regular size breeds ?
If its a rooster you want , GET you a RIR rooster that is older than the flock and let him take charge and control over your flock . We have rir's , barred rocks , australorps and brought in a full size RIR ROOSTER and he is super great with the full flock .

I have a bantam rooster with my flock and its perfect, he isn't so big that he'll get out of control, and he's sweet enough that he takes care of the girls, calls them for treats and things like that.

Shouldn't take long for the big girls to appreciate their little guy!

Being the newbie that I am, didn't realize that Silkie's were smaller. But once I found out that they were, I thought it would be better thinking he wouldn't bully the girls because of his size. But now I'm finding just the opposite, at least at this point in time. I'll wait it out and see if we can make it work.
Thanks for your input, it's always welcome!!

Once, we sectioned off part of the run and made a pop hole small enough that only the bantams could get though if they needed to get away from the larger chickens. Is it possible for you to do something like that?

I've had mixed success adding bantam roos to standard sized pullet flocks. My first try, I added a black, frizzled bantam cochin to a flock of about ten girls. They didn't like him from the start, especially the top red hen. The minute I added him to the chicken run, the top red hen attacked viciously and kept diving at him for more. I finally removed him after she'd given him a bloody comb and I was afraid she would kill him.

About a month later I tried a buff bantam cochin roo who had been deposed as top roo in another flock by the previously rejected black frizzled cochin bantam roo. The buff bantam roo must have known how to sweet talk that mean red hen or perhaps he gave off strong "I'm the man" vibes. He had control from the moment he hit the ground in the new flock. Of course, he had been deprived of hens for about a week while recovering from his fight with the other roo. So maybe he was just a tad eager to dance and impress the ladies.

Since then I had decided to go without a roo with that flock, but cruel fate dealt me a fiesty Rhode Island Red roo hiding in a new batch of pullets this spring. So now my girls have a big RIR roo who takes care of them. This RIR roo and I have gone a few rounds. Now I think he respects me, but I never turn my back on him.
smile.png

I would speculate that there are definitely preferences, personalities, and chemistry involved in getting a flock of hens to warm up to a new roo.

~Donald in SC

I agree with Cajunliz, you need to put him with them in a safe place for a few days so they can see hear and smell him but not hurt him. Then release him and you have to let nature take its course sometimes. I know it is hard , so difficult to watch sometimes but unless it gets really bad or starts to get a bit (sorry) bloody, try to let it be. It will take a few days for the pecking order to balance, but it should. I have 18 weeks, 11 weeks and 8 week old all liviing together now and they have been for almost 3 weeks now. They were able to see and hear each other from the time the younger were all babies, but could not get to each other. I finally just released them all together but stayed close to monitor for a few hours and they worked it out. No serious pecking, alot of dirty stares, and chasing but it worked for them and they are all doing well now. Good thing because I have 19 more chicks coming on the 11 of September and I will have to start the process all over again. Not really looking forward to it but this is the last time I will have to do it for a very long time unless the hubby adds on to the coop --- AGAIN!

Okay, this weekend when i know I can stay close for a while, I'm going to put Lyle with the girls and hope and pray they leave him alone. It will be over a week since I gave them a few minutes together so this time I'll really make an effort. Keep your fingers crosssed for Lyle.

Back
Top Bottom