is it possible to feed too much protein?

chica-z

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Northern WI
I've got a BUNCH of fresh raw meat trimmings-is it possible for the girls to overdo on it? They go bonkers over the stuff! It's been frozen to kill parasites.

Give them a bit at a time and spread it out. If they eat too much of other stuff and not enough laying feed you will see your egg count drop almost over night.

Thanks for the response Miss Prissy- I was thinking that the increased protein would UP their production, not lower it. Thanks for the heads up-at least I'll know why I'm not getting eggs if I do feed too much of it!

Quote:
Well, if your yokes start looking like steak, you'll know you over did it!
lol.png

I give my chickens all kinds of scraps and meat. I don't know how much of these trimmings you have, but a little every day probably wouldn't hurt. My chiclkens free range so it is hard to tell how much extra protein they get. I think a well balanced diet is key. Give them oyster shell to make sure the calcium is provided, and I don't think your egg production will be affected.

smile.png

They don't look like steak, but I think the eggs have gotten bigger the last few days I've been feeding the scraps. And no decrease in production yet...
When I say a bunch, I mean 4 deer carcasses (rib cages, leg bones). I took the small stuff and bagged it up for later in the winter, but now I have these carcasses for them to pick clean. My dear husband offered to cut them in half with an axe...there's a mental picture for ya!!!

Back
Top Bottom