Is it possible to get two plants from one seed?

I know it. We used to have my brother in law and his wife living in a little cabin on our land. Every weekend two of us would go up and weed the whole place. There was enough people that no one felt like they had to do it too often, and the work went quick because there are two people. I miss those days. Now I am waiting for my kids to get old enough that they can do the job, but won't insist they have to drive off with their friends instead. 😅

Good for you for doing it at all. Gardening can be so rewarding and make you feel like you are connected to everything, but more than anything it is a crash course in how frustrated you can get.

I'll bet your climate is a little drier that late blight needs. Up in VT we can have a lot of chilly, rainy days in late Summer (believe it or not, August is usually sweltering for most), and then the blight just follows since there is so many compromised plants for it to jump through on. I am glad you don't see it, we usually want to give up on tomatoes each time it shows up.
Yea we've been fortunate. Unfortunately our weather has been changing around here. Extremely mild winter and just had snow a few days ago. I haven't even been out to til because it's been going from too cold to too hot. Summer was mild last year as well but 2 years ago June and July were sweltering. I must admit when it's hot out I pretty much refuse to go outside let alone pull weeds. I pretty much just do the garden to save money. I haven't bought tomatoes, salsa or pickles in a very long time due to my efforts but I'm an extremely lazy Gardener. Past a point I just give up and let it over grow. I know...I know...I shouldn't do that. But honestly I don't care much for plants :confused: and I don't like the "hobby" as it's not so much a hobby as it is a job. I pretty much just like growing them from seed

You could try planting tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. There are way less weeds that way, as long as you can get enough buckets for them all. We got a bunch from a store and a restaurant. Just drill some holes in the bottom, you can use them for years.

I love not needing to buy things. I haven't grown tomatoes or made salsa in a few years since my toddler was born, but it always tasted better than store bought. We never buy jam, though, since that is a smaller time requirement, and I can get the older kids to help me pick them. I should get back on the salsa this year.

You could try planting tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. There are way less weeds that way, as long as you can get enough buckets for them all. We got a bunch from a store and a restaurant. Just drill some holes in the bottom, you can use them for years.

I love not needing to buy things. I haven't grown tomatoes or made salsa in a few years since my toddler was born, but it always tasted better than store bought. We never buy jam, though, since that is a smaller time requirement, and I can get the older kids to help me pick them. I should get back on the salsa this year.
Honestly if I could put everything in pots I would. DH has a different view than myself. He loves gardening but I end up doing almost all the work :confused: I care more about my small flower garden then my vegetable garden especially since half of what I grow I don't even touch until after it's canned (I don't like raw tomatoes and cucumbers). Hubby says eventually he'll buy a tiller for the tractor to make life easier but they are pricey! I wish I had some little ones who could help pull weeds but hasn't been in the cards yet. The garden is 30'x30'....just too big for me by myself. I'd much rather a small raised bed.

Have you ever heard of sheet mulching? It isn't for everyone, but it can be a nice way to avoid needing to till.

https://morningchores.com/sheet-mulching/

Ah, husbands.😏 They look at us and see a magician who can make whatever they want magically happen.

I would get one tomato in a bucket per year, then he may not notice when all of them are in there. 😅

Have you ever heard of sheet mulching? It isn't for everyone, but it can be a nice way to avoid needing to till.

https://morningchores.com/sheet-mulching/

Ah, husbands.😏 They look at us and see a magician who can make whatever they want magically happen.

I would get one tomato in a bucket per year, then he may not notice when all of them are in there. 😅
Ive tried newspapers, cardboard, compost...any weed preventer other than chemicals...it always ends up overgrown. It's just too much garden for one person.

I totally agree with you though. If I didn't do his laundry he would only do it if he was down to his last pair of socks and underwear. If I didn't cook he'd just eat whatever was in the pantry. I have literally seen him just open up a can of green beans and just go at it with a fork :gig

I'll try and sneak a tomato in a bucket. Tell him I'm trying something new I heard about on Pinterest :idunno. I tried one year, unsuccessfully, to grow them upside down in milk cartons. They just dried up completely. Not even a single tomato

Yeah, if they make us do the work, they at least need to be open minded about us trying new things.
Too true. I thought about trying potatoes in containers this year as well. Didn't go so well last year in the bare soil. Not much yield and made weeding more difficult. Containers seems easier because I can literally just dump it out at the end of the growing season. I think I could really learn to love gardening if he let me do it my own way. I think it would be so cool to just have that whole space filled with buckets of plants. How do you cage your tomatoes in the bucket? We use cages made from rebar currently. They work better than those flimsy cheapos you buy at the store. They don't store as well but honestly those cheapo ones are usually garbage by the end of the season

I just stick the cage right in the bucket. 5 gallons ones are usually deep enough, but you can also use rocks at the bottom to help secure it and then pour the dirt in, since romas definitely can get heavy. Maybe rebar will still work like that? We also used to tie together a pyramid of saplings above the bucket with the bottoms dug into the soil a little, and then string the tomato up with a rope.

Have you heard of a potato tower? You can make them with tires or cardboard/straw and chicken wire. Our season is too short, but I'll be you could do it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=po...iI/AAAAAAAAJFQ/NDo3Yl1JlZY/s1600/DSCN6253.JPG

Yeah, you sound like a container gardener to me. Maybe you can have your spot where you do your thing and he can have his spot, maybe a little smaller than it is now. Some people get attached to what they did when they were little, or what their parents did, but what harm is there in trying one small new thing? Just transition slowly to something that works better for you.

I just stick the cage right in the bucket. 5 gallons ones are usually deep enough, but you can also use rocks at the bottom to help secure it and then pour the dirt in, since romas definitely can get heavy. Maybe rebar will still work like that? We also used to tie together a pyramid of saplings above the bucket with the bottoms dug into the soil a little, and then string the tomato up with a rope.

Have you heard of a potato tower? You can make them with tires or cardboard/straw and chicken wire. Our season is too short, but I'll be you could do it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=potato+tower&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jvBbYk1O6cA/U4fXoRkrLiI/AAAAAAAAJFQ/NDo3Yl1JlZY/s1600/DSCN6253.JPG

Yeah, you sound like a container gardener to me. Maybe you can have your spot where you do your thing and he can have his spot, maybe a little smaller than it is now. Some people get attached to what they did when they were little, or what their parents did, but what harm is there in trying one small new thing? Just transition slowly to something that works better for you.
His parents always gardened directly in the soil and still do. My dad did too but he spent every single weekend out there maintaining it. Now that he's older he just does containers. He gave me one but I didn't like how heavy it was. It also retained too much water and just eventually got covered by weeds, spiders, bugs, etc. I appreciate your insight and I'll put one of my tomatoes in a container and see how it does. Hopefully it does better than the ones in the dirt so I can convince him to let me do all containers;). I'm just so sick of pulling weeds :rant

Back
Top Bottom