Is it possible to have a hen that just will never lay?

vka2b

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
I realize that this is a very common question on this forum, but I swear I am not just being impatient...I am legitimately seeking advice on whether folks thing something might be wrong.

I have 4 hens (1 Production Red, 1 Black Austrolorpe, and 2 Golden Comets). The first two have been laying for over a year. The Golden Comets are new -- just hatched in early spring (at the same time).

One of the Golden Comets has been laying for over a month -- she lays a big, dark brown, thick shelled, bright orange-yolked, beautiful and healthy looking egg almost consistently every single morning. The other one (like I said, born on the same day) has produced nothing. A few notes (as I know these are the questions folks will ask):

1.) Absolutely no other signs of distress -- she eats/drinks normally, poops normally, clear eyes, red comb/wattle, nice feathers, acts like a normal chicken, etc.

2.) These are free-ranged chickens, and I feed a high-quality organic layer feed (started off with non-layer feed when they were younger) that I feed all my chickens who are laying well like I said. They always have access to fresh water, well-kept nesting boxes, etc.

3.) She walks totally normally, so I don't think she is egg-bound or anything. I've also taken a look, and I don't see anything stuck.

4.) It isn't cold here yet, so it's not a matter of her "coming of age" during the Winter months when production would be low anyway.

5.) This one makes me think it is maturity -- the other one (who is laying) does her submissive squat when you get near her, and this one doesn't at all...also, her comb isn't as big (although her body is larger). However, what makes me think it's not age is that she is almost 8 months old at this point, and born on the same day as the other! I know that all breeds are different, but she is my 5th Golden Comet, and ALL of them started laying at right around 5 months old on the dot. I don't think this is a "watched hen never lays" scenario -- she legitimately seems delayed! And yes, she is a hen, not a rooster. :)

Is there anything else anybody can think of here? Is it possible to have a hen that just will never lay for some reason? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Great thought, but that's definitely not the case. I knew I forgot something when I pointed out all the things that I knew people would ask! They aren't truly free range in that they don't have complete access to the whole yard. They are in a penned in area, and I know she/they can't escape it and lay eggs elsewhere. It is just a grassy area (no hidden spots there or the coop), so I would be 100% able to see a huge hidden stash of eggs. I have thoroughly checked this area and the coop -- definitely no eggs. Thanks for the response though!

Well next thoughts, I have never not had a pullet or hen eventually lay an egg, though it's not impossible.

Is it possible that she's laying but you can't tell as the egg would look identical to the other sex links?

Another option is she's just a late bloomer. Can you share a picture of her?

Is it possibly a rooster? Just throwing all the options out there.

No, because I see the other one (the laying one), go into the next box early in the morning (while the other one hangs out on the grass), then I hear her skawk, and then I go out and collect the egg (and it is still warm). So the other one is definitely the layer. Also, I only get about 5 - 6 eggs from them a week -- if they were both laying, it would get more than that. When I used to have 2 sex-links a few years ago, I'd get about 14 a week on average. And I'm not confusing the eggs with the other chickens -- they are totally different shades of brown. As for being a rooster, I mentioned in #5 above that she's not. I'm not a total expert, but I've had 2 roosters before and I know she isn't one from her size, comb, the fact that she doesn't crow, her feather shape, the size of her claws, etc. I'll send a picture shortly...

I bought and American game bantam hen this March, and has never layed that I have noticed. She does squat when I pet her. I know she has not been laying because I had her one on one with the rooster I bought with her, then just by herself until about 2 weeks ago, no eggs. But it is possible for a hen to never lay.

vka2b IF you're sure it's a she, probably a late bloomer or non-layer as oldhenlikesdogs mentioned

Poultrybreeder If she's squatting, she'll lay soon. Check the spacing of her pelvic bone, not sure of the spacing with bantams but LF >2 fingers = laying

Back
Top Bottom