Is it possible to have a roo that barely crows?

XilverAngel

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
I REALLLY want to keep a roo, but if they crow all the time, i wont be able to
hmm.png
, does anyone know if it's possible to have a roo that crows minimally? as in its personality is just more quiet? And do all roos crow in the morning?

Last edited:
It's totally possible to have a rooster tend towards the quieter, but it's so random - even amongst the same breed, some boys just have more to say. Roosters crow day and night and all times in between!!!!!

i have 4 boys that can crow now but one who is my americana i rarely hear, my standard cochin also hardly crows and when he does most time its in the afternoon, my orpington and silkie rooster tho crow all the time mostly the silkie who then gets my orpington going lol i love their lil crows and they all sound different hope u find urself one that u like and doesnt annoy u as much
tongue.png

Alright, thanks for all the responses! Im just wondering, because i cant keep roos in my area, but if i'm lucky enough to get one that isnt as noisy then i might be able to slip by, so just wanted to know. Thanks again!

The larger the rooster the louder the crow too, sounds kinda prehistoric with the echo. I'm kinda lucky cause my rooster sleep late, so they don't start till around 7, sometimes 8...but good luck there too, I once had one that started at 4 am....in the dark...goodbye rooster.

Yea we were sold two "pullets" once and the bigger one decided to start at 5 and 6 in the morning. The other one decided to follow in its path... sigh.... what a shame. ><

The rooster we chose to keep is pretty quite it turns out. He only crows in the morning while he is still on the roost. The coop kind of muffles the noise and I have never heard him crowing while out in the run with the girls. I quess I lucked out.
smile.png
We really don't have any neighbors close enough to be bothered. The only one that would be complaining would be my husband!

Good for you DanyyChicken! I hope i have enough luck to choose a quiet one too. I really don't want to get rid of what im suspecting around 5 or 6 cockerels right now...
hmm.png

My friend had a couple of roos but had to "pass" them onto a friend that would dispatch of them in a quiet manner. We can't have roos in town and can't truly have the number of hens in the coop we have at the moment!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom