Is it possible to wing sex EE bantams at 1 day old?

chickenmatt84

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
University Place, WA
Just a general question since my keywords pulled up tons of results...Is it possible to wing sex EE bantams at 1 day old?

I just received 6x 1 day old EE bantams. I know it's easier to be sure around 8 weeks but I had heard you can wing sex some chickens when they are a day old. But I've also learned sexing is different depending on the chicken. Just trying to expand my knowledge here and also curious to see if my predictions will be true. By the wing sexing it looks like I have 5 pullets and 1 cockerel. Although the 1 cock is a rich dark brown color and I either can't get a good look at the feathers or I keep looking for something that isn't there and its 1 even row of feathers. Thanks everyone!

So exciting, bantam EE! :wee

I don't actually know the answer to your question, But...

Most chicks received in the mail (sorry for the presumption) will often be at least 48 hours old by the time they arrive at their destination.

Besides... I wanna see pics! ;)

Why not label them and state your predictions as well. :pop

Since EE can be a mix of basically anything.. I KIND of doubt they can be wing sexed... but, you got nothing to lose by trying!

I almost got bantam EE.. but settled for bantam Ameraucana. :oops:

I really like the variation in EE though.. and especially love the rich brown chicks. :love

Those were my thoughts with the EE's. I was kind of hoping since last time I received 6 but only 2 made it and 1 is a cockerel. Really hoping for mostly pullets. The hatch date I was given on these was 5/6 with ETA of 5/8. I got a surprise call from post office that they came in today 5/7 at 10am. So I presumed day old, but probably closer to 48 depending when they got out of their shell. I'll get some pics of them now with my predictions and then I'll be back here around 6-8 weeks unless some traits show up.

Very happy with the variety I received from Cackle Hatchery.
My predictions based on wing feathers
1,2,4-6 pullet
3 cockerel

Attachments

• IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4626.JPG
    IMG_4626.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 11
5 week update. Pretty certain what I have now.

#1 Cock. Just got some rust on the shoulders and comb is turning red.
#2 Pullet
#3 Pullet (also had a bum leg first week so is smaller than all the rest, leg much better now)
#4 Passed away on day 3
#5 Cock. Red nose, rust, size.
#6 Pullet

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg