Is it possible??

Pollitos6

Songster
6 Years
5 Years
Apr 30, 2018
Hello,

One co-worker who gets eggs from me told me that when she cracked open an egg she noticed what it seems to be a death embryo in an very early stage. I collect my eggs every day and put them inside a basket on top of my kitchen counter. The only thing that I can think of was one day that I found a couple chicken eggs hidden in the nest way under the hay, not sure if they were day 2-3 days. I don't have any broody hens so no hen has been sitting on those couple eggs. Could it be that the hot temperature and being way under the hay will be enough heat for the embryo to develop? This has never happened to me before.

Thanks

Hello,

One co-worker who gets eggs from me told me that when she cracked open an egg she noticed what it seems to be a death embryo in an very early stage. I collect my eggs every day and put them inside a basket on top of my kitchen counter. The only thing that I can think of was one day that I found a couple chicken eggs hidden in the nest way under the hay, not sure if they were day 2-3 days. I don't have any broody hens so no hen has been sitting on those couple eggs. Could it be that the hot temperature and being way under the hay will be enough heat for the embryo to develop? This has never happened to me before.

Thanks
It is possible. There is a tale in my local village of the compost chick. A hen had been sitting in a hidden nest and the eggs were confiscated. I don't know how many days the hen had sat for. The guy who tells the tale and whose hen it is says he thought he had broken all the eggs but it seems he missed one. He was adding to the compost shortly after and he could hear a cheeping sound. On investigation he found a chick, perfectly healthy, probably two days old.

Yes it is very possible, even if the hens were not broody Hens love to nest in hidden areas so, many hens could of tried to lay in that nest and then the embryo could have developed.

Could it be a blood spot? They do happen sometimes in eggs.
(I don't know how knowledgeable your co-worker is about chick development.)
According to her she could even see the little wing developing... I am just shocked. I am so traumatized that I have definitely searching the nest thoroughly every day when I collect the eggs and even candling the eggs just to be double sure.

It is possible. There is a tale in my local village of the compost chick. A hen had been sitting in a hidden nest and the eggs were confiscated. I don't know how many days the hen had sat for. The guy who tells the tale and whose hen it is says he thought he had broken all the eggs but it seems he missed one. He was adding to the compost shortly after and he could hear a cheeping sound. On investigation he found a chick, perfectly healthy, probably two days old.
and to think people are spending so much money on expensive incubators when you can have a simple compost pile and do the same job. 😆

Back
Top Bottom