Is it really a NY state law???

Don't ask me why they have them. I went to my TS to buy 5 chickies ONLY!! I was informed and it was posted on posterboard by our county that you had to purchase a minimum of 12 chicks. Now of course that could of been TS's way of making sure they sold all their chicks to, who knows. I came home with 17, lol.

Quote:
I live in NY, and there is no such law! Sounds like they were suckering you in! LOL!!
lau.gif

Critter Crazy, there is such a law. Go into any feed store, or look it up.

Okay, so then why can I walk out of a feed sotre with only 3 chicks then????
hu.gif

We've heard the same thing at the store. It seems to be to protect the chickens from death by... "OMG it's soooooooooooooooooo cute!!!"

It serves it's purpose, which is to make those impulse buyers think twice. It can be annoying for those of us who have chickens already or for those people who only want a couple laying hens for their family. I think a 12 chick minimum is a bit much, but the 5-6 chick minimum is a lot more understandable.

Critter Crazy, why are some of you able to walk out with three? Because your feedstore could care less about the law. Some feedstores would look at it as "even those who just want 3 are still a customer" and the feedstores who apply the law are thinking "the more chicks we MAKE them buy, the more money we make." Just be careful bragging about your feedstore's leniancy, someone could report them and then next time you buy chicks you'll have to buy the minimum.

I think it was very wrong of them not to let you pick out the chicks. That is ridiculous, I would not have bought them if I couldn't pick them out. The feedstore WAS ripping you off in this aspect. I would take those Golden Comets back and request that they be replaced with what you paid for. If they don't, I certainly wouldn't buy from them any more. This is a dirty policy they are using to make sure they don't end up with the "unwanted" chicks. It's stupid. You shouldn't have let them do this to you, you paid for them you should pick them out. It's not like ordering out of a hatchery, you went to the feedstore to buy some chicks.

-Kim

Last edited:
Quote:
A Southern California store told me the same thing a couple years ago ....
and they said it was for their safety, so that they would keep warm and not die.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom