Is it really a NY state law???

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
So I go to pick up some chicks at the local feed store today. No I didn't order any but they always order extra and planned on getting just a couple. Well, they were a bit abrasive and told me that NY state law requires that I HAVE to get a minimum of 6 chicks? Is this accurate? Any other state like that?

Flame me if you wish but.........Aren't the governements hands in enough cookie jars without having to make laws concerning the purchase of chickens? I understand the reason for it, I just don't think it is anywhere near a GOOD ENOUGH reason to make a law. MAYBE on a very local level (that's what local governments are for) but state wide? No way.

If I really wanted only a couple chicks (say to replace some killed by predators) and did not have room for thier minimum. I would buy the minimum and carefully set them on the floor as I walked out the door. Better to pay a little more than get stuck with birds you don't have room for.

Better yet, find the person responsible for passing the law (say whoever sponsered the bill) and drop them off in his/her mailbox with a letter explaining why you only needed X number of chickens and tell them to GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Right. So if Govenor Spitzer, er, I mean Patterson makes me buy 6 and I can only have 3 by town ordinance, am I going to get arrested if I go home and behead three? "Chicken veal" is probably illegal too.

You guys are absolutely right -- it is a well intended law, but the more invasive the govt get the less freedom we have. And don't they have more important things to do? Maybe go find out why drop-out rates in inner city NY schools are over 50%? Find out who burgled my friends home? Figure out why we have the highest taxes in the country? America was founded on the notion that most people could take care of themselves. The cost, of course, is that a few people don't -- but that's the price of freedom for all the rest of us.

EB White has this great essay in which he discourages the proposals to establish a "Secretary of the Home" as cabinet position. You get a whole new set of bureaucrats thinking up reasons to justify their jobs.

roll.png
that sounds totally crazy to me

I have no clue. So I now have 6 more chicks in the old brooder in the basement. They also wouldn't let me go and pick the chicks out. I only wanted RIR's ( I knew they had Golden Comets too ) and so sure enough I got Comets mixed in with the RIR's. So I'm hoping to find them some homes. I'm sure they are nice, but I prefer the dual purpose kind.

How stupid a law is that?

It's true. I'm going to guess it's an anti "get-some-cute-chicks-at-Easter" repellent. If you buy six, you're likely not just buying a decoration. I did buy 6 from the local farm supply and the next week when she got some different varieties in, she let me buy only two (if I promised not to tell anyone on the BYC -- doh!).

I love everything about New York State -- except the government. Highest taxes in the nation and the least freedom. It's no wonder everyone is moving to North Carolina. Everytime they raise the school tax and say, "It's for the children," I say, "No it's not -- it's for North Carolina. We spend all this money to educate our kids and they can't afford to live here because the dingdang taxes are so high that they have to move to North Carolina."

But I digress.

New York State knows best and they know we cannot be trusted with our own decisions about chickens.

Back
Top Bottom