Is it really a NY state law???

It is the ones who impulse buy and abandon or kill the little single fuzzbutts who cause these laws to be made.

I understand the frustration of not being able to get only one or two to add to an existing flock, but I think the chicks certainly have a better life and chance at a better life because of it.

I personally think the sales of chicks, ducklings and goslings at Easter should be outlawed.

Anyone want to adopt some dumped Easter ducks and geese?
smile.png

See subsection 3 in New York State Law Section. 354

§ 354. Sale of baby chicks and baby rabbits. 1. No person shall sell,
offer for sale, barter or give away living baby chicks, ducklings or
other fowl or baby rabbits unless such person provides proper brooder
facilities where appropriate for the care of such baby chicks, ducklings
or other fowl or baby rabbits during the time they are in the possession
of such person. For the purposes of this section, a baby rabbit shall be
a rabbit of less than two months of age.
2. No person shall sell, offer for sale, barter or display living baby
chicks, ducklings or other fowl or baby rabbits which have been dyed,
colored or otherwise treated so as to impart to them an artificial
color.
2-a. No provision of subdivision two shall be interpreted or applied
to prevent or restrict teachers and qualified instructors of youth under
the guidance and supervision of the New York state cooperative extension
service from using eggs for non-profit educational purposes or from
observing fowl hatched from such eggs for non-profit educational
purposes.
3. No person shall sell, offer for sale, barter or give away living
baby chicks, ducklings or other fowl or baby rabbits under two months of
age in any quantity less than six.
4. A violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor,
punishable by imprisonment for not more than one year, or by a fine of
not more than five hundred dollars, or by both.

Oh, no! I broke the law by giving away four chicks last year. I had no idea!

This year I bought six chicks, because they told me that it was the minimum, but I thought it was just to make ordering worth while. I wanted that many anyway....

Quote:
Right. So if Govenor Spitzer, er, I mean Patterson makes me buy 6 and I can only have 3 by town ordinance, am I going to get arrested if I go home and behead three? "Chicken veal" is probably illegal too.

You guys are absolutely right -- it is a well intended law, but the more invasive the govt get the less freedom we have. And don't they have more important things to do? Maybe go find out why drop-out rates in inner city NY schools are over 50%? Find out who burgled my friends home? Figure out why we have the highest taxes in the country? America was founded on the notion that most people could take care of themselves. The cost, of course, is that a few people don't -- but that's the price of freedom for all the rest of us.

EB White has this great essay in which he discourages the proposals to establish a "Secretary of the Home" as cabinet position. You get a whole new set of bureaucrats thinking up reasons to justify their jobs.

Yep - it really is a NY State law that they must sell a minimum of six chicks. This was, in part, a response to keeping stores from selling one dyed blue chick at Easter etc - is geared to be an animal protective statute. Maybe you can get someone to share your order of six....

Back
Top Bottom